Bass and Slap Bass DI

Olijanovi

Hey everybody,

I am having some trouble having a clear bass in my mixes. Furthermore, when I do some slap... it also doesn't come out as a very clean slap line. I believe the word would be muddy.

Do you have any hints to help me achieve a nice bass sound and a nice slap bass sound? Am I compressing too much out of it?

Why don't you post up some clips of what your bass is sounding like? :)

One thing I can suggest right off the bat is to use a bass amp simulator or to reamp through a bass rig. My bass DIs always sound 100% better once I throw a bass amp simulator on the channel.

Can't tell if you're compressing too much without hearing it. Muddy would categorize the 200 - 500hz range. Cut some of that out. Experiment with how much and how wide you cut. Try a narrow notch to a broad overall cut. More definition on the slapping I would think would be somewhere from 800- 2k hz, but I don't know for sure. Add some wide band boost in that range, see what you get. I don't do any slapping or popping, but I like to add a small boost around 900hz for more definition on the bass.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Can't tell if you're compressing too much without hearing it. Muddy would categorize the 200 - 500hz range. Cut some out that out. Experiment with how much and how wide you cut. Try a narrow notch to a broad overall cut. More definition on the slapping I would think would be somewhere from 800- 2k hz, but I don't know for sure. Add some wide boost band boost in that range, see what you get. I don't do any slapping or popping, but I like to add a small boost around 900hz for more definition on the bass.

Nice! Let me try that right now! While waiting for an answer, I fooled around with the eq for the slapping bass, and it seems like it was my problem. I'll now check better with your direction!!!

Back