bass and 3/4 measure - HELP!

smirky

I have no problems playing interesting bass lines to a 4/4 beat or other straight measures, but I'm often totally lost if it's 3/4. Any suggestions how I could solve this problem?
thanks!

4/4 time has two natural accents per bar(sometimes called "strong beats") wheras 3/4 has only one,the 1st beat of each bar.The typical solution is to play the root of each chord on the 1st beat of one bar and the 5th on the 1st beat of the next,this gives the familiar country ballad sound.Try this: for a C major chord,play a quarter note c on 1,rest on 2,then G A G on and of 2,3,and and of 3 respectively,then back to C on the next 1.See what you come up with with this as a starting point.

just wanted to say thanks for your posts! I'll never love waltz, but I'll try to live with it ;-)

smirky

There are lots of different styles withing the 3/4 grouping. Tell us more about the the drum parts, and bar groupings your using. Many times, 3/4 will have a more aggressive feel if played in more 6/4 or 6/8 type feel. An example would be Judith by A Perfect Circle. There are tons of things to do in 3/4, but it will depend on the style.
Waltzes people tend to lay of the 2, playing roots or 5ths on the 1 and leading notes on the 3. For more aggression, accent the 2, lay off the 3 but play the & of 3. Let us know more about the songs.
Hope this was some help
Jeff

There is a toad the wet sprocket cd - I cannot think of the name of it of hand - has the song "walk on the ocean".

Quite fascinating in that much of the material on it is in 3/4 or 6/8 and they rip it up.

Walk on the ocean can be counted as a two beat, all 3 beats
or multiples 6/8 etc can be counted in twos, just leave out
the second and third and count the following first beat as
2. It gives a different feel then true 3/4 but it can be done. 1 2 3,1 2 3- 1_ _ 2, 1_ _ 2. Something to that effect,
you will know what I mean once you do it. Ok so Im stupid, but I write alot in 6/8 and swing it into the 2 beat, its just a feel thing. Someone here with a good grounding in theory will be able to explain it much better.

If one were to notate the rhythm, it might be a triplet with a tie connecting the first two notes of the triplet, not quite sure though. The time signature could be a 2/4.

Now that you mention it dragonworks, I can feel it two different ways.

Another way to feel the rhythm of 3/4 or off-quarter tempo's is to take a listen to Dave Brubeck's classic
"Take Five". The song is in 5/4 and my jazz band used this song to perform solo's with this difficult temp.
As always in learning a technique, always start out SLOW!
Peform simple major scales in 3/4 time,taking the time to count them out while fingering. If you have a sampler, loop some bass lines in 3/4 time and practice with them over and over while including some riffs to the the scaled sample.
But the most important thing is to PRACTICE,PRACTICE and
MORE PRACTICE!
Good Luck!

If you have a drummer laying around, check to see if he has the video from the drummer of Dream theater. Mike Padfgaf or something is his name. Very good job explaining. Also jvasey had a good example. A perfect circle has tons of 3/4 time, as well as their drummers Josh freese solo album "The amazing one man orgy" Tool also has some crazy time changes but more based in 5/4 time

Back