bass amp

I owned this amp for about a year and a half when i started out. blew the speaker within a few months and it caught fire twice. once on stage and once during a practice.

in my opinion its not bad for the money involved, had great volume for light applications, and tone wise it was very tweakable to your preference. sounded good miked up and projected well.

cons: well it caught fire twice, of course because its not a larger amp i always had it cranked to the hills which is im sure why it burned. it needed more headroom for sure.

I owned this amp for about a year and a half when i started out. blew the speaker within a few months and it caught fire twice. once on stage and once during a practice.

in my opinion its not bad for the money involved, had great volume for light applications, and tone wise it was very tweakable to your preference. sounded good miked up and projected well.

cons: well it caught fire twice, of course because its not a larger amp i always had it cranked to the hills which is im sure why it burned. it needed more headroom for sure.
I'm sorry.. but that's funny as hell ..given ' not bad.. and 'caught fire.

Twice

"If you push something hard enough
It will fall over "
Firesign Theater

Sufice to say, especially perhaps with bass and the bottom end in general you really do want to consider how loud? and how much low end extension do you need.
Toss' either one of those factors and yeah you can get away with the smaller lighter rigs.

Stretch the budget and have a go at one of these, surprisingly large sound for the rated output. And it'll stay in one piece and not end up as a self igniting barbecue. Orange crush pix 100. They can easily daisy chain if you need more a long the way. Not much by way of gimmicks, but good for rattling the pan supports if there happens to be a cooker in the vicinity.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H67133_both_colors.jpg

I'm sorry.. but that's funny as hell ..given ' not bad.. and 'caught fire.

Twice

I thought the same thing.... :D

Look for Hartke on the used market for a good deal. They are not expensive, but sound good and are reliable. In the world of bass, wattage is your friend; both amp and cabs.

have fun!!

best rig I've ever had was a Hartke 3500, Very well built amp with plenty of oomph to drive a big cab.
I bought used for $100 and it needed service...bad heat sink and a bad solder on a board........another $150......well worth the money.

once it was fixed....she sure could punch a hole in the air..........

".bad heat sink and a bad solder on a board........another $150."

How does a heatsink go bad?

Heatsinks may be undersized....

or the component may burn up....

Behringer's are not the most reliable. The Hartke 3500 seems to be the standard back-line in my area. Generally along with a hartke 4x10 cab. They always get the job done. However, I can not say enough good things about GK equipment. I highly recommend the 400rb, that and a decent cab will fill up a room quite nicely.

i have recently purchased a bugera bvp5500 amp head and run it through an old behringer ultabass cab sounds fantastic and for the money is outstanding will probly not upgrade either head or cab for a while. but a better cab would be on the cards when the speakers blow. or i may just upgrade the speakers.

if you can afford the extra scratch get best you can..

Youre at $285 us $219EURO which is entry.

I just went through a couple years of zero bass knowledge- and "wattage is your friend" is true, and start around 400watts. It amazed me how the 100-200-even 300 struggled, even in small venues.
With a real drummer it wasnt enough bass power, while in the bedroom practice the small ones seemed loud enough, but live it disappeared. Bigger venues probably DI but the band and drummer need to hear it on stage so power is still needed.

Its a learning thing, Bass is so different than guitar amps, amazing ...and theres no getting around needing the power for the bass freq's...so it seems.

The number of opinions you get will be almost as endless as the number of bass amps and cabs available. Everyone has a favorite that is driven either by tone and sound or by popularity based upon what their friends claim is the best.

Ampeg, Mark Bass, Acoustic, Peavey, and the list goes on.

With that being said; you can spend a fortune on the latest SVT or you can spend your money wisely. I choose to spend my money wisely. I play Hartke. You can not go wrong with Larry Hartke's equipment. It is reasonably priced, made in the US, has great customer service, and most of all the tone is perfect.

Jaco played Hartke. In fact the very first 8X10 cab was built by Harke for Jaco.

Victor Wooten plays Hartke, as does Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, Frank Bello, Jack Bruce of Cream, David Ellefson of Megadeth, Eric Bass of Shinedown, Geezer Butler, Chuck Garric of Alice Cooper, Eddie Jackson of Queensryche, Ken MacMillan of Nonpoint, Paul Romanko of Shadows Fall, Dale Stewart of Seether, Nate Watts, etc.

Hartke artists are not paid to represent Hartke. These artists choose Hartke because of the benefits of playing great equipment.

The number of opinions you get will be almost as endless as the number of bass amps and cabs available. Everyone has a favorite that is driven either by tone and sound or by popularity based upon what their friends claim is the best.

Ampeg, Mark Bass, Acoustic, Peavey, and the list goes on.

With that being said; you can spend a fortune on the latest SVT or you can spend your money wisely. I choose to spend my money wisely. I play Hartke. You can not go wrong with Larry Hartke's equipment. It is reasonably priced, made in the US, has great customer service, and most of all the tone is perfect.

Jaco played Hartke. In fact the very first 8X10 cab was built by Harke for Jaco.

Victor Wooten plays Hartke, as does Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, Frank Bello, Jack Bruce of Cream, David Ellefson of Megadeth, Eric Bass of Shinedown, Geezer Butler, Chuck Garric of Alice Cooper, Eddie Jackson of Queensryche, Ken MacMillan of Nonpoint, Paul Romanko of Shadows Fall, Dale Stewart of Seether, Nate Watts, etc.

Hartke artists are not paid to represent Hartke. These artists choose Hartke because of the benefits of playing great equipment.

This a very true statement. If I could afford to I would upgrade my cab to an Eden with the blink of an eye but actually it's all about taste and what you can afford so test it before you buy it

".bad heat sink and a bad solder on a board........another $150."

How does a heatsink go bad?

Heatsinks may be undersized....

or the component may burn up....
After many years of absorbing Joules of heat the interatonic lattice gets filled up and the sink has to be removed, immersed in liquid Nitrogen for 6 hours then re fitted.
The specialized nature of the coolant accounts for the ripof...SORRY! High cost of this repair.

Dave.

After many years of absorbing Joules of heat the interatonic lattice gets filled up and the sink has to be removed, immersed in liquid Nitrogen for 6 hours then re fitted.
The specialized nature of the coolant accounts for the ripof...SORRY! High cost of this repair.

Dave.

Interesting, I learn something new every day.
Do you have a source on the internet where one might learn more?
(Google is not being my friend on this one).

Back