Bass amp mic

superstupid

I am looking for a bass instrument mic for live and studio use. I will be miking a 10" speaker on a bass amp.
I have been looking at the A-T ATM25 and the Audix D4.

I have a punchy, midrangey, warm tube-overdriven sound and I do use a B string, so I get pretty low. The bass sound from AC/DC and Audioslave is a good example. I know that AUdioslave uses the ATM25 live.

My concern with the popular kick mics is the mid scoop. While it is ideal for the drum sound we want, it is the opposite EQ curve of my tone. I don't mess with the sub bass, that is for the kick, so it can hit that much harder in the mix. And when it starts coming up at 4000Hz, then you get clickety clack, good on a kick drum for definition, bad on a bass.

Anyone have any reccomendations on the ATM25 vs. the D4 or otherwise?

superstupid said:
My concern with the popular kick mics is the mid scoop. While it is ideal for the drum sound we want, it is the opposite EQ curve of my tone. I don't mess with the sub bass, that is for the kick, so it can hit that much harder in the mix. And when it starts coming up at 4000Hz, then you get clickety clack, good on a kick drum for definition, bad on a bass.

Then you might try a popular kick mic that's flatter, without the dips and peaks you mention.

An Electrovoice RE-20 or PL-20 would make a lot of sense for your needs.

chessrock said:
Then you might try a popular kick mic that's flatter, without the dips and peaks you mention.

An Electrovoice RE-20 or PL-20 would make a lot of sense for your needs.

By popular, I meant D112, Beta52, etc. I will check out the EV.

ANd yes, low B through a 10" is OK.

The ATM25 should do the trick...as will the EV as well as an Audix D4.I have em all and they all work with only slightly different characteristics mostly dealing with sensitivity and proximity issues.

Back