Basic stereo recording question

stodge

I've got an SBLive and a Zoom 505 guitar pedal hooked up to a Yamaha MD8 (great machine by the way!).

Both the SBlive and the Zoom kick out a stereo signal. But when I come to record either signal, it ends up recording (at least I think) as a mono signal. So for example, if I record some drums coming from the SBLive, all of the drums end up as a mushy sound in the centre of my headphones. When Im sure the hi-hat should be off to the right or left.

I'm sure I'm missing some fundamental knowledge of recording a stereo signal, so could someone enlighten me?

thanks

Make sure when you record out stereo that your left channel is panned hard left and the right hard right.

Adam.

Think of the stereo outputs as being two mono signals. When they come into the Yamaha, you've got to tell it to pan one signal hard left and the other hard right. The inputs should each have a pan knob or something.

Thanks for the info. Nope, still cant work out how to do this properly.. Hmmmm

[This message has been edited by stodge (edited 01-05-2000).]

OK, well, in that case you still won't hear stereo unless the drumsets have been set up to provide a stereo sound field, where the hi-hat really is on the side.

You do have two wires hooked up from your sound card, don't you? (or at least a stereo cable with 3 connections into your MD8)

Woaaah. Now you're losing me.. I have a cable running from the SBLive (stereo single mini-jack from the Line Out)to a single connection on the MD8.

I will admit Im struggling with understanding the MD8's manual. I'm trying to understand "grouping" but the manual just doesnt speak my language!

Oops, maybe I shouldnt have edited my last post to update my comments. Noone will see my updated comments that way. Duuuuuuuuuh

Sorry if I didnt make it clear, but the drums are generated from soundfonts using the SBLive card, connected through its Line Out connector. Not real drums - my neighbours would kill me!!!

Duh, sorry! I have to finish debugging some software.

Just go to the "Computer Recording and Soundcards" Forum from the front page of the forum, then to the thread "Multiple Sound Card issues".

Do I need to split the signal from the (stereo) cable into 2 separate mono signals, and then connect them into two separate connections and tracks (one panned full left and one full right) on the MD8?

I presume that when Im connecting the stereo cable, Im only getting the left side of the stereo.I think Im starting to see sense!

thanks

Hey Stodge:

I can see that you have been getting much advice. Let me tell you what I do and maybe it will have some bearing. You're right. Whoever wrote the manual for the MD-8, after the "get started pages," should be put in the Bastille forever.

I run a 1/4 inch cable from my drum machine, Boss 770, into Channel 8 of my MD-8. This is my drum track. I operate the MD-8 in the non-group mode because it's easier at the moment.

I usually reherse the drum track and then lay it down and just play chords with it for whatever tune I'm doing. [I don't record the chords at this time; sometimes I don't play any chords; just hum the tune and punch in additional drum chops to get away from the rut of repetition.

When the drum track is done, I switch channel 8 from record mode to CUE mode. In this mode there is no need to mess with EQ or the fader - in the CUE mode, the fader does not input volume; you get the volume by using the CUE dial and you need to punch the CUE buttons on the MD. If you don't put a recorded track into the CUE mode, all kinds of weird things will happen; you may even lose the data on the track.

Next I record the chords on another track; then I put that track into the CUE mode and record a horn or strings or steel drums from my DX-7 as I build the song via overdubbing.

With 8 tracks, I usually have plenty of space for me without bouncing.

Then, when all of the tracks are done, all of the channels must be put into the play back mode and CUE must be turned off. Now your faders will control the input/volume and now you can EQ any channel you want and now you can move a channel a bit left or right. Then, I play back and mix down to tape. Then, I fiddle with reverb rooms for a while and I might lay down three or four mixes of one tune. Then I realize I've been in my studio for 5 hours and it's time for a Coors!!!

I don't know exactly what your equipment is but I thought if I gave you a picture of what I do, it might help you figure out another page of that MD-8 manual of logorrhea.

Keep twiddling the dials,

Green Hornet

[This message has been edited by The Green Hornet (edited 01-13-2000).]

Back