Basic Soundcard recommendations

Chris Long

Hi All
A friend is just starting out, recording some ideas on her home PC, and would benefit from a better sound card (I believe she currently has a built-in chip solution, not absolutely sure). I have an Audiophile 2496 and am very satisfied with it, but I haven't been in the market for quite a while, so I don't know about other options she might have.

What is a good quality, but basic PCI sound card going for these days? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks--
Chris

There hasn't been a great amount of innovation in "basic" soundcards, in the last year, or so. The exception is in Firewire mixers with a soundcard built-in. But, with your basic soundcard.. PCI, USB, Firewire, what was around last year, is still what's around now. The Audiophile 2496 was a decent card last year... it's still decent this year. Not much has been introduced that is significantly better.

Northern--she plans on doing solo stuff, mostly folkish things.

Talon--thanks.

I suppose not much has changed since I got my 2496...I was thinking I'd ask just in case some company had put out something comparable for half the price :)
That model (the 2496) has had a really long life, compared to some computer parts!

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
Nick98338 said:
There hasn't been a great amount of innovation in "basic" soundcards, in the last year, or so. The exception is in Firewire mixers with a soundcard built-in. But, with your basic soundcard.. PCI, USB, Firewire, what was around last year, is still what's around now. The Audiophile 2496 was a decent card last year... it's still decent this year. Not much has been introduced that is significantly better.

Sums it up well, Nick. Thanks for your help. I had a basic EMU a few years back (can't recall the model # right now), thinking I'd replace my 2496, but I couldn't stand the software mixer...never did get comfortable with it. So I ended up back with my Audiophile...happy as always.

I have the 2496 and it is great. Just remember she will need some decent preamps. I would recommend the M-audio fastrack if her PC has USB. It has a decent pre built in and it is easy to get running, plus it will be easily portable if she gets a laptop.

Sonny--
Yes, pres are next, I suppose. I have an Audiobuddy, which works well for me (for what I do). I might push her in that direction.

Is there anything inherently better about USB interfaces? Easier cabling, portability, and ????

Back