Basic PC recording set up

Call-Of-Ktulu

Rockaholic
I'm thinking of starting up a small "studio" in my bedroom so i can record riffs from my guitar and keyboard and maybe mix them together later and get a rough idea of a song using this drum software called Drum Beat. I bought this cheap Acoustica MP3 recorder software on the internet and its doing just fine except that it doesn't have any EQ capabilities or any effects. The editing capabilities are right up there though. Can I get "external" devises for EQing and effects or do i have to get a whole new program?

My other question is should i get a preamp for it? right now all i have is a cheap radio shack PC mic on my guitar amp and a patch cord going from the out on my keyboard going to the sound card. As of now i'm just switching the plugs when i need to switch between recording each instrument, I was thinking i could just use a splitter so i don't have to keep unplugging and plugging unless any of you think that would be a bad idea. The sound quality isn't ment to be all that great, mind you it's turning out quite well with just the PC mic believe it or not. If i could just get some EQ so i could chop off some of that fat low end I'd be laughing.

Any comments would be helpful!

Back