Basic mix settings for drums

yesdog

I am new to recording and would like to know basic settings on the channel strips for drums. I am using a Behringer xenyx 1222fx.
channel 1 overhead
channel 2 overhead
channel 3 kick 22 inch
channel 4 snare
channel 5 T1 8inch
channel 6 T2 10 inch
channel 7 T3 12 inch
channel 8 16 inch floor tom

My kit is a yamaha recording custom. I am also using a macbook with Digital performer6. For now I can only record the whole kit on one track. I will be getting an 8x8 usb interface. M Audio fast track ( I am on a tight budget )
But for now just a basic explanation on setting the high mid and low on the channel strip. once I get my new interface that will be a whole new can of worms. Is there a way to upload mp3s I tried to attach but you can only upload pictures. Thanks Scott

The basic setting would be to bring the preamp gain up until your individual inputs are hitting around -12dBFS with everything else bypassed or at unity.

I always run the eq (if that's what you're talking about) flat and only use it if something calls for it.

But almost always I don't need to eq. Just use your ear, but start flat and try to record so you can leave it that way. Flat is what gives you the best sound is what I've found, so I aim for that.

Assuming you need eq is like someone handing you a meal and you adding tons of salt and pepper before you even taste it. So try it flat (usually straight up in the detents) and if your ear doesn't tell you to do anything, leave it there.

The basic setting would be to bring the preamp gain up until your individual inputs are hitting around -12dBFS with everything else bypassed or at unity.

Yup. That is the only setting that makes sense.

You want to try to "set your EQ" by tuning the drums, moving the drums, putting goo on the drum heads, removing goo from the drum heads, trying a different brand of drum heads, removing drum heads, putting drum heads back on, trying different drums altogether, moving microphones around, using more microphones, using less microphones, changing the phase of microphones, using different microphones, telling the drummer to hit the skins differently, putting a sofa in the room, removing a television from the room, etc.

When you are done "setting your EQ" using the above method, then you use your channel strip to correct the sound you made to make it match the sound you wanted. The sound you made should be really, really close to the sound you wanted. Since there is no way of knowing where or how your "reality" missed your "ideal", there is no way of saying how you should use the channel strip to correct it. If your recorded snare is 6 db too loud at 250 hz, use the EQ to cut 6 db at 250 hz. If your recorded snare is 3 db too quiet at 250 hz, use the EQ to boost 3 db at 250 hz.

The tricky part is that the "ideal" only exists in your head. You have to have a vivid and accurate mental hold of a song that doesn't exist yet to know if the "reality" is in fact 3 db too quiet at 250 hz.

I just got a M-Audio fast track ultra. I am using it for Kick, Snare , and overheads. Can I still use my mixer for the toms? Its a behringer xenyx1222FX
Do I use the main XLR outs on the board and connect to the two 1/4 inch inputs on the back of the interface. On the back there are six inputs and two inputs seperated from that group. same goes for the output. Or do I use the aux sends from the mixer. Thanks

Recording drums is an interesting adventure when you're starting out. I would advise that you certainly go through past threads {check the drum forum} coz there are lots of interesting views on this and despite the fact that there are sometimes opposing views, that's good. It opens the door to learning different means and ways and helps you apply different methods to different kinds of songs. Have a quick look at this, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFOD1EeKhQ

You'll also find plenty on the net about recording drums. Research. It's great fun.
In the end, like Chibi alluded to, you'll probably only know what you like when you like it ! At first, I mean. Persevere.

Back