Basic minimal soundproofing?

Cobra67

I'm pretty new to recording but actually my dilemna has nothing to do with the actual recording aspect. I need to know what is the best (and cheapest) way to soundproof a few windows. My band just started practicing in a very empty basement. I need something to put in front of the windows so our neighbors don't complain. It's very loud even out in the street. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time to whoever can help!

The sound is probably getting out through more than just your windows, but for them you could board them up with blankets or equiv packed in the cavity. ..but maybe that's too drastic??

cheers
John

Save your ears

Johns suggetsion is probably a good place to start. You could even try to get some syrofoam or foam rubber as insulation. But my next suggestion is maybe another alternitive. Do you realy have to play that load. There are certain insances where it might be needed to turn a guitar am up to get that perfect tone. This can still be done and save your ears and your neighbors by isolating the amp in a well padded room. I would much rather see an amp in that room the you or your band members wrapped in those white coats with the arms tied around the back.

Good luck and happy jammin'

Try a bunch of packing blankets over the windows. You can get them at home depot for about $12 apiece. This is probably your easiest option.....On a related note, can anyone give me some pointers on where to look for soundproofing info? I have a big loft space (yay!)but it's not at all soundproofed (boooo!) and I don't want to torture my neighbors with my "artistic musings". Essentially we want to wall off the main room, and I'm wondering if certain materials are better than others, etc etc.
thanks,
scott

Back