Basic Idea: 3 new popsongs to review

The Niz

Hi all,

We've finished recording 3 new songs in my homestudio, please take a listen and fire at will:

(Gonna) Hit The Ground:

With Tears In Her Eyes:

The End Of Time:

Greetz,
The Niz

Some more info

I thought a bit more info on how it was recorded could be appreciated on this forum, so here we go for the gearheads:

Everything is recorded on tape (Quantegy 456), onto an Tascam MS16 sixteen track synced to a Tascam TSR8 eight track. All audio passes first through a Soundtracs Topaz Project8 24/8 mixer which is IMHO a versatile analog board with great sounding preamps and a useful musical EQ.

All vocals and acoustic guitars are recorded using a Studio Projects C1. All electric guitars were recorded making use of a Marshall JMP and/or Dynacord DA16/V (the latter for the "cleanish" sounds), and then via a Marshall SE100 Speaker Emulation unit to my mixer. Very easy for tracking when the kids are asleep...

For effect pedals I used the Ibanez TS10 Tubescreamer and MS10 Metal Charger for overdrive, Ibanez SC10 chorus, Ibanez PT909 Phaser and Boss DD5 Delay.

The bass is recorded via DI (Boss Stage box). I've tried re-amping, it worked fine but in the end we didn't use the tracks, we preferred the DI-parts.

The drums are from a Roland TD-K6 kit. We might redo these in the future using an acoustic drumkit.

For the synth sounds we used a Yamaha SY35, an old 1980's Roland RS-09 string synth and 1981 Korg Polysix going through a Roland Space Echo RE201.

The songs are mixed down to HD via an E-MU 1820m (24/192-settings).

Voila, these are in a couple of lines the tools used to craft these tunes. In case you'd like me to elaborate on something, just ask.

Anyone to critique the mix, we're listening! :)

Greetz, The Niz.

Thanks faderbug!
We're recording some more right now, we'll put them online when finished. They'll be less poppy and more rock-songs.

Where are you from?

Greetz,
The Niz

ya i listened to hit the 'ground' some more and there's way too much bass and the guitars in the intro are too bright.

still that's me nitpicking, apart from details in the mix this sounds really good.

some people still track to tape!!!! amazing.

antwerpen

End of time - love the drums (synth or no) they sound great. Nice spread on the guitars. Bass is really defined and punchy - great. The playing is excellent and the vocalist is super. The mix sounds great just the way you have it (big and bold) IMO.

Yeah, tape's the way to go for me! Gives this extra punch to your waves... And it doesn't take ages to boot and track something :)

First of all: already a big "thank you all" for taking the time to listen and comment!
Secondly: after some time (about a month in our case) you reach a point where these fab mixes that you've made are not so fab anymore because of x that's too loud, y that is still noisy in the outro, and z that has got too much effect, etc....
We've come to this point; we do have remarks on the 3 tunes, but we still like them considering they're still "just" demo's. Meaning, if we would put them on an album or so, we'd make some changes (acoustic drumkit would be one, some small vocal changes, ...).

aidin + fader ==> Hit The Ground is breathing 80's, that's true. It was our intention to do so. And true, the bass is quit loud, but we thought we could get away with it. Perhaps it needs to be tamed just a little more. For the intro I envisioned a sort of Fripp-like sound. Don't know if that idea translated well to what I've recorded, but I think it fits (although it could be even "dirtier").

Eck ==> thanks already for your effort, I'll need to listen to it on my studio speakers. The acoustic guitars in "With Tears" are 6- and 12-string, both doubletracked.

Thanks ido, you're almost making me blush :) (I'm doing all the instruments except the drums in that recording).

Got more comments? Don't hold back the feedback (positive AND negative)!!!

Greetz, The Niz (located 15km west of Antwerp)
PS: By the way, happy 2008 y'all.

Eck ==> nice work: on first hearing I like what you did. It puts the lead vocal more upfront compared to my mixdown. What exactly did you do? I'm curious! I told the band members and we're gonna have a thorough listen on Monday evening.

Greetz from Belgium,
The Niz

Back