basic cutting and pasting question

p.babs

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to cubase LE, and i have a quick question for everyone.

I Have been doing some recording; and with that recording comes some cutting and pasteing ect.

and of course when you do cutting and pasting sometimes you will get a click, or the sound waves don't exactly match up, and you have to do a little maintence. That maintence being altering the sound wave so that they fit eachother properly, creating a smooth transition from the original recording to the overdub.

my question is this; how do you do this? I've been reading the manuel; and clearly i'm missing something. I've seen it done before, it seemed simple, expand the picture of the sound wave, then somehow connect the unconnected soundwaves to make a single wave.

I'd be happy to even just know what section of the manuel i should be looking at!

any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Been a long time since I've looked at LE, but sounds like you need to do a crossfade between clips.

LE might be a little different, but try this:

Where two clips join together, make them overlap by a 0.5 seconds (or whatever sounds good), then select both clips by Shift-Clicking on both. Then right click and select Audio>Crossfade.

Hope that helps.
Peace,

A little late to this party, and Chili's solution works too, but what I do is zoom in REAL close, and cut the track where the waveform is at zero. Join it with the other waveform, also cut at zero, then the waveform is continuous and does not click.

I use SX3 but the principals should be the same as LE. One other thing to bear in mind, make sure you have 'snap' turned on before you do anything. If you recorded some wavs without snap turned on then switch it on and shorten the beginning and end of the wav to the beat/bar (you can set this up to suit you by experimenting with quantize). This means when you move the two parts together at the point you want them to match up they will stay in time. Then its just a matter of hitting crossfade (the easy way) - or you can do a manual cross fade and surgically alter the waves to connect on an extreme zoom in (the more advanced way).
Also, when you hit crossfade you don't need the wavs to be overlapping, Cubase does that for you depending on how you have cross fades set up. Just make sure they are side by side with snap turned on and that the timing is good. The default setting is fine when you are just getting setup but you can do a lot more by getting in and tweaking the crossfade settings depending on the part. Hope that helps.

Back