Basic Chords

Royston

Greetings, having just bought a decent keyboard (i'm a guitarist/bassist/drummer/singer) I'd like to know basic major and minor chord fingerings. Any decent websites that show how to finger the most common chords?

Thanks in advance.

My advice would use the fingering that feels more comfortable. If you're just playing basic chords the fingering is not that important.

I'll give you the most basic thing there is though, you can try and work off that.

C Major basic triad.

Left Hand / Right Hand
Root (c) - Little finger / Thumb
Third (e) - Middle Finger/ Middle
Fifth (g) - Thumb / Little

If you want to put in the octave aswell:

Left Hand / Right Hand
Root - Little Finger / Thumb
Third - Wedding Finger / Forefinger
Fifth - Forefinger / Wedding , cept on your right hand.
Octave - Thumb / Little Finger

Hope that helps a little bit.

Although this may sound insulting, it's not intended to be. Piano books are probably your best bet for what you are asking for. If you don't want to buy one, perhaps a trip to the library might do the trick.

E

Try getting an adult piano method book from your local music store. My final semester in high school, longer ago than I'd like to admit, I invented an independent study class in piano. I picked up a book for ten or fifteen bucks, and by the end of the semester I knew my way around the keys pretty well. My technique is horrible, but I never wanted to perform on piano/keyboard anyway. I just wanted to know how to play. I'd recommend you just drop a few dollars and go the book route. You'll know your chords in no time.

Back