Basic Categories of a Home Studio

jlizerbram

Hi all,

For starting out on building a home studio, I'm trying to piece together a categorical list of studio items. Without mentioning budget, brands, price, or any other specifics, how would you categorize items to make a complete recording studio?

My goal is to create a studio environment that's computer-based (no rewind time, digital editing, great sound quality), sufficient amount of simultaneous track recording for recording a 5-piece band, and perhaps two isolation rooms or dividers for singer and instruments. This will be for a 250 Sq Ft. Room.

Here are the categories I came up with...does this sound close?

Furniture / Rack Assemblies / Stands
Sound Absorption Materials
Isolation Materials
Power Conditioning Units (power supplies, strips, etc)
Computer Components (includes computers, screens, networking, etc)
Computer Software (sequencing, wave editing)
Input Components (Microphones, Mixers, Audio Interfaces)
Output Components (Monitors, Headphones)
Recording Media (Hard Drives, ADATs, CDRs, Cassettes)
Signal Path Processors (Compressors, EQs, Effects, Maximizers)
Cabling (Cables, Patch Bays)
Emergency Extras Equipment (power supply, data backup, extra cables)
Creature Comforts (couch, fridge (for beer of course))
Miscellaneous Office Supplies (printer, fax, phone)

Does that sound about right?

Any input on how to categorize the essentials will be much appreciated.

-Jeff

jlizerbram said:
This will be for a 250 Sq Ft. Room.

Its going to be a tight fit. :D

5-piece band, and perhaps two isolation rooms or dividers for singer and instruments.

In a 250 square foot room? I guess its possible but its not really ideal. I am not good with dimensions :( but I think my living room is 500 sq. Feet. I couldnt fit all that in here. Amps, drums, keyboards, etc.? If its all you have to work with I guess you just work with it, but for some reason that seems REALLY small for what you have in mind.

That's about a 16x16 space.

Kinda small for everything you list.

The couch is out. Be sure and get a couple good headphone amps and lots of headphones.

You may be able to make the fridge double as an iso booth. :D

What would be a minimim sq ft to comfortably isolate a drum kit and singer? Guitarists and bassists will most likely be plugged directly into their own channels.

other than the small room like everyone else said itsounds like thats an appropriate list for a home computer based studio

My home studio is about the same size, and I have a huge "L shaped" couch in the room. While I can't even come close to fitting an entire band in the room with me, I can comfortably fit a full size kit + a half stack in my small isolation booth/amp closet + 1 DI'd bassist and 1 guitarist seated comfortably in chairs nearby.

Along with all my gear, you'll also find 2 dressers, a book shelf, a mini fridge, and all my girlfriend's cosmetology crap. :rolleyes:

If I've learned one thing in life, it's to work with what you've got.

Good luck.

I am getting the feeling that jlizerbram is thinking of using this as a commercial studio?? :confused:
Miscellaneous Office Supplies (printer, fax, phone)
Sounds like an office. :confused:

If so, not many guitarists or bassists like recording direct. :)

You left out one thing. Time. To learn about TL and acoustics. To plan. Sumit plan to get permits. Replan once code compliance registers. Resubmit. Get materials. Earn a budget. Build or have built. Inspections. Rebuild. Installation. Equipment trials. etc. It all takes time. If you got very little while working.....it'll take a LONG time. :rolleyes:

For commercial purposes? I'm going in that direction. I've been getting a lot of requests for small projects (which is great, I love the attention!). Small projects mainly include just singer/guitar, and I provide drum kits and bass via sampled keyboard instrumentation. So there has been no immediate need to bring in drums or bass yet. BUT, if that request were to come, I'd like to be more prepared for it...otherwise I'll refer them over to a large studio who can handle that. I know that space is tight, but I've seen it work in other small studios. Thanks, DavidK for the advice about bassists and guitarists....so far I haven't come across that with guitars, but I'm sure the move savvy musicians would agree with you.

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
You left out one thing. Time. To learn about TL and acoustics. To plan. Sumit plan to get permits. Replan once code compliance registers. Resubmit. Get materials. Earn a budget. Build or have built. Inspections. Rebuild. Installation. Equipment trials. etc. It all takes time. If you got very little while working.....it'll take a LONG time. :rolleyes:

Rick, you're totally right. That's why putting together an itemized list is one of the starting points to create a budget. Although I already own many items in these categories, I realize there's going to be some upgraded needed to accomodate any larger projects. I should probably include a category named something like "Professional Services" if I'm going to have it built. Time is a big challenge, too, I admit...Thanks for your great advice.

jlizerbram said:
Rick, you're totally right....Time is a big challenge, too, I admit...Thanks for your great advice.

nah, he was probably just trying to discourage you by being a dick. :p

anyway good luck with your project. :D

Yeah, I've been scanning these posts for a long time, and I'm very familiar with Rick's style...very smart dude with a little attitue..nothing wrong with that! :cool:

nah, he was probably just trying to discourage you by being a dick
:rolleyes: You are wrong. I don't discourage anyone. I simply tell the truth. Building a studio to accomodate commercial clientel(even at home) is ENTIRELY different than building a wham bam thank you mam- home thrash music computer recording bullshit. :mad: If you think you can wham bam a commercial studio....be my guest. Oh, btw, get familiar with your local BID, as THEY are the ones who PERMIT your conceptual plan to become reality. And can postpone it as long as you don't comply. Think I'm kidding. Try it without a permit in a commercial building. :rolleyes:

BTW zed, I'm the ONLY one here to point out the REAL SHIT when it comes to building a REAL studio. So eat me. :mad:

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
BTW zed, I'm the ONLY one here to point out the REAL SHIT when it comes to building a REAL studio. So eat me. :mad:

haha yeah well i see where you're coming from, and i know you speak from experience. no real disrespect intended. you brought up a very valid point, just in a dickish kinda way.

jlizerbram said:
For commercial purposes? I'm going in that direction. I've been getting a lot of requests for small projects (which is great, I love the attention!). Small projects mainly include just singer/guitar, and I provide drum kits and bass via sampled keyboard instrumentation.

This makes sense. Its a good size room for a keyboard/computer based studio with some recording capabilities. A nice lil keyboard suite will go a long way with the right projects.

Back