Basic audio recording software for Tascam US 224

Razor1548

Hello people,

I am rather new to this recording business, and would like some advice on the best software to use with my Tascam US224. I would have posted this in the Tascam forum, but my question isn’t really manufacturer specific

Here is my situation:

I like using the cut down version of Cubasis that came with the 224, but would prefer to record 24bit sound. Other than that the software seems to do all I need it to, as I only want to record audio from direct guitars and microphones and don’t foresee any need to use midi tracks or even do much in the way of editing audio tracks.

In addition to that cut down and rather basic software I have played with Reason 2, Cakewalk (v 9 I believe), Cubase SX and Vegas Audio. All of these seem to have lots of functionality I don’t expect to need anytime soon, and I fear the time it would take me to get to grips with them would be something of a waste considering my limited needs. In addition, I like the way the cut down Cubasis interacts very well with the 224’s control surface (I know this really just saves me from using the mouse click, but find it infinitely easier to press a play button before playing my piece rather than manipulating a mouse). The only other software I have been able to get to respond at all to the 224’s controls is Reason 2, but I know I just don’t need all that functionality (besides, I couldn’t even find the ‘audio in’ features in Reason 2… it’s all a bit too complex for a novice I think).

I suppose I would be contented with the cut down Cubasis if it was only 24bit quality. Can anyone advise me on software to give me the best of simplicity, audio quality and hopefully, compatibility with the Tascam US 224 control surface?

Any advice is much appreciated. I had a search for any topics relating to the US 224 before posting this but didn’t find anything addressing my issue. I hope I have not missed some glaringly obvious information somewhere.

Cheers,

Mark

my recommendations.....try the demoes of powertracks pgmusic.com,ntrack fasoft.com,,,,,
both do 24 bit. also try multitrackstudio.com ,magix music studio just put in 24 bit support in the new 2005 version i believe.
but ive never tried any of these with the tascam unit you have.
just try the demoes before buying. i would email the respective vendors about control surface supprt. ive a suspicion ntrack might do what you want.

Thankyou for the advice, I will take a look at all of those.

I actually downloaded a trial of ntrack a good couple of years ago. It was my first glance at recording software (except for windows sound recorder that is ;-)

It would be kind of funny if that does the trick and I go back to it as I begin to get a clue what I am doing.

Cheers

i think youll be happy with ntrack. there is an ntrack forum on this bbs.
lots of knowlegeable folks on the ntrack forum at fasoft.com.
but also look at multitrackstudio.com sometime. ive been very impressed by it. due to the fact of the easy interface and its not cluttered and it runs so rock solid. also whate impresses me is its built in range of fx and even some vintage settings as well as support for outside plug ins.
but i dont know bout the control surface support.
in magix music studio that i use and love i dont need a control surface. it lets me set up quick keyboard shortcuts for things i want to do.
for example i want to record , just arm the track and push R on the pc kbd. couldnt be simpler.

Back