Basement Wall Ideas

Kjv1993

Busking a Subway Near You
Hi guys, its been a while since Ive posted about my studio project. Ive been so busy I haven't had time to work on it. Here is my original forum about when I started this project way back when:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ng-display/basement-studio-ideas-pics-290581/

My problem now is time. My dad and I came to a mutual agreement that framing/drywall for the room is out of the question, due to lack of time and money. We decided to frame/drywall 1 wall so we can have a properly fitted door, and outlets. But what to do with the other 3 walls? They are now completely waterproofed and painted btw. We were considering some type of carpet idea. I know that its not the greatest acoustically, but the level of recording Im at doesn't require super acoustics (better then my tiny bedroom). But I still dont want the room to sound like complete shit. Ill make some bass traps eventually.

So do you guys think carpet would be pretty good for the walls, or have any other ideas? Remember Im trying to do this quickly and cheaply. This project is going on 2 years, and Im moving out for college in another year and a half. Time to get er done.:cool:

Carpet = bad, read the thousands of threads already written on this, sorry asking the same question does not change the facts.

Just give the walls a coat of paint and fit some acoustic panels, midband absorbers, some hi end absorbers and bass trap the corners, just do a search and you will find many construction tips, they are not too hard to build.

You don't need to cover all the walls, I only have about 40% of the walls in my studio covered plus some ceiling clouds. Hard floors are fine with a few rugs.

It won't sound proof the room, but you may not need too as it's in the basement and you have done the ceiling. Carpet does not sound proof.

That's where I would start.

Alan.

Maybe post some new pics so we can get an idea of where you're at progress-wise. I think your ceiling is drywalled(?).

Is sound isolation still a major goal?

For acoustic treatment, I say DIY a bunch of 2'x4'x4" rigid fiberglass panels and put them up on the ceiling and walls, especially the corners. If you do it yourself, it's not expensive at all. That will tame your crazy room.

If you're recording acoustic drums, I'd say there's a good chance people upstairs are going to hear them. Would that be a problem? You can always use a VSTi like EZDrummer or Steven Slate Drums and keep your drums "In the Box".

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The ceiling is finished drywall, and the walls are brick. In its current state, it is sound proof enough. I dont need to worry about a little sound leaking, as my family is used to me rocking out :cool:

The reason i want to carpet the floor is I want the room to be comfortable too, so that me and my friends can chill down there when were recording or jamming. I know carpet on the walls is a bad idea, but Im trying to make it less of a brick wall basement, and more of a room. Hopefully there is something easy that can go up on the walls.

I will look into those DIY panels though, Im sure no matter what I do with the room Ill need some bass traps.

If you want to hang carpet for decor purposes go right ahead but it won't do shit for sound treatment. If you just want something other than brick to look at use sheets or something cheaper than carpet. Carpet may actually knock down some high freqs which would make the room more unbalanced.

lou

haha ok maybe it was a bad idea. But i do like those blankets. You say they have them at harbor freight? I think theres one of those by my house.

I am a big fan of these:
Sound Blankets Producers Choice BW Sound Blankets Producers Choice With Grommets. doz. MS-70G, Add Grommets to my

I have had very good results, and you can find them at someplace like harbor freight for under $10
Thing is, they're being sold for "soundproofing". You're not going to soundproof anything with blankets. As far as "sound treatment" goes, go ahead and use them if you want to kill all your highs while doing nothing for low end, which is 99% of the problem in 99% of rooms.

72" x 80" Mover's Blanket
Well heres some 'soundproofing' blankets (it was a joke)
Much cheaper then the 'soundproofing' blankets on ebay. Ill wash them with flame retardant curtain wash and should be set. Will only cost like 60$
My only concern is them looking stupid.... but maybe Ill do some sort of frame around them so I can hang posters and shit.
Now all Ill need is DIY bass traps to actually treat the room since I dont anticipate the blankets to do anything.
Well thats my plan unless anyone has a brilliant idea waiting in the shadows to be unveiled.

Edit: Also just wanted to specify, I spent lots of time researching sound treatment and I do know these will not do much for reflections, they are just for covering the brick walls. Not for treatment. Just wanted you all to know that I know, you know.

I never said they were for sound proofing, I use them for minor isolation, or to tone down reflections a bit, Ive even made a stand out of 3/4 PVC, that I throw these things over to make an on the spot vocal booth(yes I know you are all haters of vocal booths, get over it)

I paid $8 a piece at Harbor freight, and if you dont like em, they make great beach/picnic blankets!

Just curious, are the walls actually brick? Or cinder blocks. I kinda like the look of brick. Anyway, you could always just stucco the wall to make it look better. Then acoustically treat it. I am about to finish walls in my concrete block walled drum room with something like this.

Attachments

• Slatted_Wall.jpg
    Slatted_Wall.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 32
I'll throw my horribly corrupt two cents in here.

Base coat the brick walls and drywall black. Everything black.
Then get your friends over, with a bunch of cans of different colors of paint.
Wear junk clothes, and GO APE SHIT CRAZY splattering paint everywhere!!!
Then build your DIY corner bass traps and 2x4 panels, with some bold colored fabrics, and you're done.

Remember, the hardware stores ALWAYS have discounted gallon cans of paint that people bought, tested, hated, and returned. I have at least a dozen gallons of all different colors, all $5 here and $8 there, from every time I check the stores. Especially Lowe's, they love clearancing out their returned paints.

If you really wanna get funky, get all fluorescent neon paints, and install black lights.

haha ok maybe it was a bad idea. But i do like those blankets. You say they have them at harbor freight? I think theres one of those by my house.

Just for future reference. The ones currently sold at Harbor Freight are about 3lbs per blanket and the Producers Choice at Movers Supplies are suppose to be around 8.2lbs per blanket from my research.

On topic. Natural brick and stucco looks very cool and urban... even when painted... Cinder Block when painted looks super dope too. I had some graffiti artists paint some dope art on mine and hung my panels and bass traps over it. Looks bad ass and very colorful. Put an add on craigslist that youll provide paint for an aspiring highschool student to do some urban art... whatever they do wont be totally viewable anyway with acoustic panels and bass traps etc.

Back