Basement Studio Build, Resilient Channel, Rockwool etc.

KY-91C2

Hello all!

I am finally getting started on my basement studio/jam room. I have a specific area that I can use (life is a series of compromises, isn't it), so while dimensions aren't ideal, they are what I have to live with.

I am going to construct a single large room, but the best way to describe it is two approximately 15.5 ft x 15.5 cubes, offset by approx. 4 ft. Height is approx. 8 ft. Of course, I get to work around all of the fun things like electrical boxes, drain pipes, water pipes, etc.

Originally, I had thought of using resilient channel, to help decouple from the rest of the house, but some of the walls will have a very small offset ( ~4 in), and with all of the soffet that I will have to build, I suspect that I will have a hard time installing it all correctly. I still need to take an amp downstairs to see how much isolation I need to try and achieve (the bedroom is above the studio, but luckily my wife doesn't go to be before I do).

My thoughts are to insulate the walls (rockwool or thick fiberglass?), and use either a single or double layer of 5/8" drywall for the walls. I know that I'll need to look at room treatments when I'm done.

So the decisions that need to be made quickly are:
1. rockwool or fiberglass insulation in the walls?
2. resilient channel or not?
3. single or double layer or drywall on the walls?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

I understand that resilient channel should be used, but my understanding is that my isolation is only going to be as good as the weakest link. That being said. with some of the strange soffits that I will need to build, I am concerned that I will not be able to properly install the resilient channel. Should I only use resilient channel if I am able to use it on all surfaces (walls and ceilings)? I suppose that I really need to take some SPL measurements to see how much isolation that I think I will need. As I said above, the allocated space has been defined, and cannot be changed. In addition to some of the strange cuts that I will have to make, I have a double door to the outside, which I think will be the weak link to the room upstairs (the master bedroom), due to flanking. Noise to the neighbors is not a concern, as I live in the sticks, and the nearest neighbor is a couple hundred yards away.

Double layer of drywall is now a given, and will be done.

Regarding the insulation, I have read in most places that rockwool is better, due to it's higher density, but I have read a couple of places that behind drywall it won't matter much. It is the couple of statements saying that fiberglass is as good as rockwool behind drywall that has me confused. Since the density of rockwool is greater than fluffy fiberglass, I would think that rockwool would be better for isolating the low frequencies. Does this sound correct?

Thanks!

I am going to construct a single large room, but the best way to describe it is two approximately 15.5 ft x 15.5 cubes, offset by approx. 4 ft. Height is approx. 8 ft. Of course, I get to work around all of the fun things like electrical boxes, drain pipes, water pipes, etc.

How long is the offset between the rooms?

Originally, I had thought of using resilient channel, to help decouple from the rest of the house, but some of the walls will have a very small offset ( ~4 in), and with all of the soffit that I will have to build, I suspect that I will have a hard time installing it all correctly. I still need to take an amp downstairs to see how much isolation I need to try and achieve (the bedroom is above the studio, but luckily my wife doesn't go to be before I do).

I do not understand what you mean by a small offset? could you possibly draw a sketch ? A section through the building - or take a couple of photos so we can relate to what you are saying?

My thoughts are to insulate the walls (rockwool or thick fiberglass?), and use either a single or double layer of 5/8" drywall for the walls. I know that I'll need to look at room treatments when I'm done.

So the decisions that need to be made quickly are:

1. rockwool or fiberglass insulation in the walls?

2. resilient channel or not?

3. single or double layer or drywall on the walls?

Don't be afraid to slow down a bit here - you are rushing right into something that you could make very nice - or very useless - in which case you just threw all your money away....... the answers are not as simple as yes or no to those questions.

I understand that resilient channel should be used, but my understanding is that my isolation is only going to be as good as the weakest link. That being said. with some of the strange soffits that I will need to build, I am concerned that I will not be able to properly install the resilient channel. Should I only use resilient channel if I am able to use it on all surfaces (walls and ceilings)? I suppose that I really need to take some SPL measurements to see how much isolation that I think I will need. As I said above, the allocated space has been defined, and cannot be changed. In addition to some of the strange cuts that I will have to make, I have a double door to the outside, which I think will be the weak link to the room upstairs (the master bedroom), due to flanking. Noise to the neighbors is not a concern, as I live in the sticks, and the nearest neighbor is a couple hundred yards away.

Regarding Walls - Resilient channel should ONLY be used when you are dealing with single walls between spaces - but not if you are using double walls - then you should never use it.

One example of a double wall would be the one parallel (and near) to your foundation wall - that wall will not require resilient channel -in fact it will have greater isolation without the RC than it will with it.

Regarding Ceilings - if you do not use RC on the walls - you may well be able to afford RISC Clips and hat channel for the ceiling - which would give you roughly a 6dB advantage over standard RC.

Double layer of drywall is now a given, and will be done.

good

Regarding the insulation, I have read in most places that rockwool is better, due to it's higher density, but I have read a couple of places that behind drywall it won't matter much. It is the couple of statements saying that fiberglass is as good as rockwool behind drywall that has me confused. Since the density of rockwool is greater than fluffy fiberglass, I would think that rockwool would be better for isolating the low frequencies. Does this sound correct?

This is one of those areas where acoustics is a counter-intuitive field...... the answer is that this is NOT correct.

Reality is that you get slightly better sound isolation at lower frequencies using regular fluffy insulation - but not so great an improvement that you should pay a premium for it.

I do not know where Frank lives, nor where you live - but in the northeast US fluffy fiberglass is tons cheaper than rockwool, so price out both products and use whatever is the cheapest for you.

You really need to get us more information before we can really answer all your questions.....

Sincerely,

Rod

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input so far! It is appreciated! My apologies for the lag between posts, between work and family, life is quite hectic. So any photos make take awhile.

BTW Rod, I have bought and read your book, and will continue to refer to it throughout the process. There's always something non-standard not non-ideal when dealing with existing spaces, though, isn't there?

Regarding the offset, I will have about a 10 ft. long opening between cubes, or rooms if you will. I had thought about making two rooms, but the space will probably be used just as much for band practices and jam sessions. So I have decided to stick with one room.

When I state small offset, essentially it is a staggered wall. So after about 3/4 of the length of the wall (the staircase is on the other side), we run into the concrete foundation. Not wanting to leave the ugly concrete, I then framed the rest of the wall in, so that portion of the wall will be offset by the width of a 2 x 4 (3.5 inches). But, since there will be concrete behind one portion of the wall, I now know that resilient channel is not needed there. I would say that 3/4 of the walls will have foundation behind them, so my need for resilient channel has been reduced dramatically. So the only wall in question will be the wall between the studio, and the rest of the basement.

Would RISC clips and hat channel reduce the height more than resilient channel? My room height is around 8 ft right now, and I don't want to lose too much headroom. I suppose it depends on how much isolation I need. On the bright side, my wife doesn't go to sleep in the bedroom until I do. She may be asleep in a different part of the house, but not directly above where the studio will be.

I am in KY, and fluffy fiberglass insulation is easier to obtain than rockwool, so i suspect that it will be cheaper, also.

I will try to get more detailed information posted over the next few days.

Thanks again for the help. The forum is a great resource!

Ron

This thread should help me as well. I just posted a thread about a very limited "studio" if I can call it that in a basement. Any cheaper alternatives to resilient channel?

Nice post, im no professional studio builder, but ive just built a double stud wall partition studio, where i started with my timber frame packed it all out with 75mm rockwool..over this i had a layer of really dense and heavy sheet block, then the resilient channels - attached to these were 19mm plank board and on top of this 12.5mm mineral board... but according to the guy who posted above apparantley having RC on this construction is counterproductive??? is that right??

im pretty pleased with the results so far think my doors are my weakspot although i have solid core fire doors...any ideas on improving the sound proofing and acoustical properties of this? esp th 1 i have in my 'condemned box of a vocal booth' lol

Also if your going to use fluffy fiberglass insulation behind two layers of drywall and possibly RC any recommendations or does it matter at all?

Also if your going to use fluffy fiberglass insulation behind two layers of drywall and possibly RC any recommendations or does it matter at all?

As I said earlier (at least I think I said it) - only use RC if you have a single wall - do not use on double walls - and understand that you will not get anywhere near the isolation at low frequencies using a single wall with RC than you will with double walls without it.

Rod

Back