barbershop debate

ZPphreak

Mixing delima.. 2 hrs in mixing.. stumped

Ok guys, I've got a delimma. I've been mixing this song for what's going on 2 straight hours... it was already partially mixed... I did a little editing.. some panning and diddled with some volume envelopes.. changed out some FX and I'm still stumped...

It's a song called "The Letter" and it's completely A Cappella.
Recorded on a VS-880 with Sampson R-21 Dynamic mics one track at a time. the Lead Vox were tracked with a MXL V63m.
I've got two mixes on my page, the old one and the one I mixed tonight. I need some guidance.. the new one doesn't sound "better" to me persay than the older one.. but it does sound different.. it has some more detail in places that I wanted it. the VP snare sound is a little more distinct and the hi-hats are also. Does anyone have any idea what I can do with this mix?

http://www.thesaltines.com/music.htm

------------------------------------------------
The Letter - first mix Brent and Ben

The Letter - New mix Brent and Ben
------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. This was going to be a 1.5 post... but I just couldn't come up with anything today... so I just mixed all afternoon.

Last edited:
hmm, can't really give you any mixing advice per se, but i do like the original mix better.

i think it had a bit more clarity. the increased low end and the almost "pumping" effect on the low end, kind of brought some of the out of time vocal percussion more to my attention.

i'd stick with what you had. remixes are always a good thing to try, but not neccessarily better, as you said.

Back