bandcamp

paresh

I'm checking out Bandcamp to post my music but the sound quality doesn't seem that great. It could be just the recordings that were uploaded. Anyone have experience with bandcamp? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

It's probably the recordings or the fact that you're just previewing streams
Bandcamp allows logged-in users to download music that they've added to their library in a number of formats, including lossless FLAC. Streaming probably downsamples to mp3 or something equivalent, but your fans can get a version with the exact quality you uploaded.

Other pros of bandcamp include:
it's the industry standard for offering digital music along with analog physical media.
It's free to you as a musician to use the platform; they take their 15% when people buy downloads.
About once a month, they will waive their cut and either let the bands keep 100% of the purchase price or donate that 15% to a worthy cause.
It's a good platform for streaming an entire album to preview it or after you've purchased it
They accept Paypal, so it's not a difficult threshold to get people to buy

Cons of bandcamp include:
Not a great day-to-day streaming service.
They are actively fighting their own employees unionization efforts.

I'm checking out Bandcamp to post my music but the sound quality doesn't seem that great. It could be just the recordings that were uploaded. Anyone have experience with bandcamp? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Upload WAV files and let Bandcamp compress them for streaming. Based on my ears, the streaming quality is about 128Kbps. Uploading a MP3 to only have them recompress it will result in diminished quality. 128Kbps is the bare minimum, they're probably keeping the streaming quality low to save costs/bandwidth. Soundcloud also sounds poor to my ears. But that's what we get for 'free'.

If you end up selling on the platform, you'll always want to upload in WAV so the buyer can choose WAV, FLAC, or MP3 downloads.

i upload 24 bit 48khz mastered files to bandcamp.
then, folks can download whatever version of them they want to purchase.
easy.

I'm really frustrated with the design aspect of band camp. I only have so much tolerance for this kind of thing and it's probably user error but I'm just not getting it to work. Any other recommendations besides band camp? Thank you!

I'm really frustrated with the design aspect of band camp. I only have so much tolerance for this kind of thing and it's probably user error but I'm just not getting it to work. Any other recommendations besides band camp? Thank you!
It would help if you gave some indication that you read the advice and followed it, and that you're not judging by the stream quality but the .flac download quality (which should be identical to the file you uploaded).

Bandcamp is pretty easy IMO so I don't have a recommendation for something easier. There are YouTube videos if you need help with customizing.

Back