Band wants 'radio edit' version., Any suggestions?

PhilTact

Howdy all. I wasn't sure what section to put this and didn't find any hits on the search.

So I just recorded a band and right before we packed up for the night they asked about possibly making radio edit versions of some of their songs. Radio edit as in non-explicit.

Should I just mute the words or have them figure out some way to reword the phrases in question?

I told them I could just put dog barks or cows mooing over it, but I don't think they want that. ;)

Any suggestions? Is there a general practice?
The band is a silly 'punk' band, if that matters at all for the context of the project.

My suggestion would be is to copy the track with the offending words. Put the track in editing software. I use wavelab. When you find the word you want to edit "expand" the wave. Highlight and mute the word/words you want to get ride of and do a new mix with that vocal track.
If you want to hear a pretty good example of this listen to the radio friendly version of Green Day's Longview.

Most of the Wal Mart radio friendly songs leave the word blank.....which sounds kind of funny to me.
What is an alternative is scrubbing the word.... which sounds like a tape recorder with the tape on the head while hitting the reverse switch.

:cool:

I think Kid Rock's "Cowboy" is the greatest radio edit ever. It's hilarious, I like it better than the uncensored version :D

One quick & easy way: reverse all of the cuss words. But funny noises are funnier :drunk:

dub them over with pirate phrases like "peices of eight" or "shiver me timbers" it could turn into a new genre :)

In a lot of cases for the clean edit, they actually snip out the offending word, reverse it, and put it back in again. I'm all for the pirate phrases or the cow moo.

Have you considered an old school *BLEEP*?

Or maybe replace it with an upper class well spoken guy saying clean words that mean the same thing like 'shit' can be 'poo poos', 'fuck' can be 'intercourse', and 'cvnt' can be 'chris brown'.

In a lot of cases for the clean edit, they actually snip out the offending word, reverse it, and put it back in again. I'm all for the pirate phrases or the cow moo.

Have you considered an old school *BLEEP*?

Or maybe replace it with an upper class well spoken guy saying clean words that mean the same thing like 'shit' can be 'poo poos', 'fuck' can be 'intercourse', and 'cvnt' can be 'chris brown'.

Shut the intercourse up Legion, your full of poo poos. You chris brown.

Yeah this can work!

Intercoursin' thanks Legion! It's chris browns like you that gets poo poos done around here.

:cool:

I think throwing some "yarrs" in might be perfect, but I bet they want the words reversed, scrubbed or something like that.

Thanks for the ideas. They asked me and I had no idea. Overall the project is turning out great. I owe a lot to techniques I learned on the forums here. So thanks again to everyone.

Back