Band recording

Geeman

Geeman here . I'm fairly new this is only about my 4th post. I'm trying to record a 4 piece guitar band on a tascam porta 02 ministudio. My problem is synchronization: I recorded the lead and rhythm guitars on 2 separate tracks then I put the bass over them on a 3rd track and vocals on a 4th. I then bounced the mix onto one track giving me 3 tracks for drums, but when it came to recording the drums we couldn't get them to match the other tracks due to bad timing on the 1st recorded track (rhthym) the bass and lead were able to compromise but it made a drum recording virtually impossible. We had only discovered the timing mistake while recording the drums, at that stage I had spent 10hrs on recording (8hrs of fuck-ups, 2hrs quality recording) I was too pissed off to start from scratch and wanted to sort the problem out before the next session. Is there a certain order in which to record individual instruments e.g. drums first, or do we have to use a metronome to synchronize everything. Could someone please help out - I don't know an awful lot about band recordings so any tips would be useful, I've already read the posts on this forum and find them really beneficial especially instrument micing posts.
-thanks, Geeman
P.S. I'm planning on converting my p.c. to a digital multi-tracker but am unsure of what epuipment I have to get I'll have a post on the computer recording and souncard forum.

Hey Geeman there. yep! Drums are what 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the time will come first. The best thing is to record the whole band at once if this is possible. With this, if you plan to do a lot of overdubs, then seperation of the instruments is critical. or...

Try recording the bass and drums first, or maybe even the drums and rhythem guitar first, what ever will give you a good foundation.

Just have a little patience, if you're anything like the rest of us, you'll always be "starting over".

-jhe

Try recording a metronome on 1 track 1st,and play to that.It should help keep things in time so you won't have such a hard time later.You could also try recording the drums with mics while you play guitar tthru a POD or ZOOM thingy onto another track.At least that way you'll be out of meter somewhat together!Cheers!

Thanks for the advice I'll give both of them a shot. I'm hearing an awful lot about the POD for recording can you use as a preamp and effects module all at once? Oh yeah, if I'm using a direct box to record bass do I run the bass through a preamp then into the DI or do I just plug the bass into the DI?
Thanks for your help,
-Geeman

Back