balanced and unbalanced

lyricalcharms

Made Man 4 Life
Ok, I’m really ashamed to even be posting this… but the fact is, its been 2 almost 3 years since I’ve recorded electric guitars…my question does apply to recording everything when it really comes down to it, but since I’m gonna throw my hand in recording this band for a friend, I just really don’t wanna ruin my gear.

Does any one know, of a good site/page that explains balanced and unbalanced cables, and when to use them? If I remember right balanced is when the cable is grounded… aka the third pin on one side of an xlr cable is used. I basically wanna refresh my mind on what’s what. Been 3 years since I’ve graduated, and since I have not n e need for this specifically, the lessons have wasted away. So any good sites I can read up on, and not get lost trying to understand?

Oh and if I remember right… a good rule of thumb is just have all the cables balanced, whether u need it or not? I truly forget. Either way I really don’t wanna hurt n e of my equipment…

Oh and for better info, I run a Digi 002 rack.
(ps i have also placed this in the guitar and bass section since i wasnt really sure where to place this)

lyricalcharms said:
Ok, I’m really ashamed to even be posting this… but the fact is, its been 2 almost 3 years since I’ve recorded electric guitars…my question does apply to recording everything when it really comes down to it, but since I’m gonna throw my hand in recording this band for a friend, I just really don’t wanna ruin my gear.

Does any one know, of a good site/page that explains balanced and unbalanced cables, and when to use them? If I remember right balanced is when the cable is grounded… aka the third pin on one side of an xlr cable is used. I basically wanna refresh my mind on what’s what. Been 3 years since I’ve graduated, and since I have not n e need for this specifically, the lessons have wasted away. So any good sites I can read up on, and not get lost trying to understand?

Oh and if I remember right… a good rule of thumb is just have all the cables balanced, whether u need it or not? I truly forget. Either way I really don’t wanna hurt n e of my equipment…

Oh and for better info, I run a Digi 002 rack.
(ps i have also placed this in the guitar and bass section since i wasnt really sure where to place this)

The Difference
Balanced VS Unbalanced

Good luck with the recording

Will you be connecting directly to the 002R or running through a mixer? Recording the guitar direct or with mics?

both... i attempt both (recorded during different takes) just to find what kind of sound they would like. usually in my past mixes i have found that i end up using a combination of both. but i will be going from guitar to DI box, to the 002(when going to direct). otherwise i will be going from mic infront of the amp, to the 002. no mixer in the path.

That first article implies that unbalanced signals are -10dBV while balanced signals are +4dBu. While that configuration is common, gain structure (-10/+4) is a completely separate specification from whether gear uses a balanced signal or not.

You can easily have an unbalanced connection carrying a +4dBu signal just as easily as having a -10dBV balanced signal, and vice-versa.

yeah, what the bear said....

I used to run my delta 1010 at -10 with balanced cables just to tie in with my two delta 410s which were unbalanced and operated at -10

You can set up inputs on the 002 either way. I'd used balanced cables for what you're trying to do (either with your mic or from your direct box). This will most likely be XLR cables so it's not much of a decision.

Back