bakin' tapes in a windowless room

paintedtape

hiya, right now I am baking a tape in a food dehydrator in a windowless room. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT!!??

by that I mean, do you think there are noxious gases emanating from the tapes? how long do you think I have before I pass out? I opened the door and have a fan blowing out it. I'd love to go somewhere else but there really isn't anywhere else for me to go in this building...

thanks, ya'll!

I hope your oven work turns out better then mine did. Just made a mess and threw it away. Watched a Youtube video, guess my tape was too far gone.

Last edited:
I assume we're talking about ampex 1/4" master tapes from the 80's? Trust them to a proper kiln, if they're important.

I just saved a super bad Ampex 406.

Did it have James Brown music on it? :D

I don't want to get into another tennis match about the value of car polish on audio tape... :rolleyes:
...but I did notice on your tapeheads forum ( http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=13954&page=6) you are now even suggesting that for some tapes, baking first and then applying car polish is a possible plan (I thought you were against baking?)...and you also suggest using Formula 409 and Fantastik cleaners to remove the car polish so you can do splices. :eek:

I also noticed someone is saying they found loss of audio frequencies and car polish build-up on their transport heads...someone who actually is doing *tests* and not just "observations". :)
I love how you say you don't hear any Wow & Flutter when someone raised that question. If you can really hear it, it's going to be crazy bad, but you can have it and not be able to easily hear it. Most people use calibrated tapes and instruments to make Wow & Flutter checks.

This all sounds more and more like a messy (and "guess-y") way to go, as I originally suspected.

Last edited:
Did it have James Brown music on it? :D

I don't want to get into another tennis match about the value of car polish on audio tape... :rolleyes:
...but I did notice on your tapeheads forum ( Nu Finish To The Rescue Must Read! - Page 6 - Tapeheads.Net) you are now even suggesting that for some tapes, baking first and then applying car polish is a possible plan (I thought you were against baking?)...and you also suggest using Formula 409 and Fantastik cleaners to remove the car polish so you can do splices. :eek:

I also noticed someone is saying they found loss of audio frequencies and car polish build-up on their transport heads...someone who actually is doing *tests* and not just "observations". :)
I love how you say you don't hear any Wow & Flutter when someone raised that question. If you can really hear it, it's going to be crazy bad, but you can have it and not be able to easily hear it. Most people use calibrated tapes and instruments to make Wow & Flutter checks.

This all sounds more and more like a messy (and "guess-y") way to go, as I originally suspected.

No James Brown music. No music at all was NOS still wrapped. Has 4 minutes of Anita Baker on it now though.

Back