Bad Quality?

Johnbmx26

Hello,
I'm pretty new to recording, and I'm using a Yamaha mixer, and Audix fusion mics. I connect the mixer to an imic (usb audio interface) then into my ibook. I've been trying to get a clear sound for a long time, but I just can't get it.. I was wondering, is it because I'm using the imic? or my mics?? Do I need a firewire interface?

John

That is way to vague to answer properly. A couple of things:

What is the sound like coming out of the mixer? If it sounds bad BEFORE you get to the imic then you might be clipping the mic inputs, and will need to turn the gain down on them.

In what way is the sound unclear? Is it crackly? Muffled? Crackly would suggest some clipping somehwere in the chain. Muffled might have more to do with mic placement.

But yeah, some more info would help. :)

MichaelM said:
That is way to vague to answer properly. A couple of things:

What is the sound like coming out of the mixer? If it sounds bad BEFORE you get to the imic then you might be clipping the mic inputs, and will need to turn the gain down on them.

In what way is the sound unclear? Is it crackly? Muffled? Crackly would suggest some clipping somehwere in the chain. Muffled might have more to do with mic placement.

But yeah, some more info would help. :)

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear about that. It's really just unclear, and muffled sounding. I'll get a sound clip up asap.

John

PhilGood said:
You need to list the mics you're using and where. A sound clip would help, too.

Bass - CAD412
Snare - SM58
Toms - Audix Fusion Mics
Overhead - Superlux ECO-H6A (only 1)

Does anyone know if using the imic as the interface is giving me bad quality?

John

the interface might be the problem, because you are experiencing poor analog to digital conversion. The other thing might just be poor mic placement. Where do you put the mics?

Back