bad ear needs serious help . . .

programr2

I am requesting that any recording guru answer a few questions for me. I have used stomp boxes since my highshool/college band days, but now that I am old and responsible, I purchased an RP12 processor and am ready to throw it out the window. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the difference between a parametric EQ and a Grapic Eq and do they cut certain fequencies or boost certain frequencies.
2. I can alter the frequency of the bands from 25-18000Hz, how do they relate to highs/lows in a reqular EQ. I have always used a smiley face setting for eq'ing but am unsure what the frequencies were.
3. I have a setting for each band for a PEQ "Q" which can go from .25-16 what does this do?
4. If I wanted to try to get the "Alex Lifeson (Rush)" sound, I know I need a great deal of chorus and to set the EQ highs way up, any ideas for the frequencies/settings.
5. Is there any particular order effects should be set: ie given the following alogrithm in what order should I start:
Compression, Distortion, EQ, Chorus, Delay, Reverb.

I know my questions seem dumb but the manual is about as easy to follow as a Chineese bible. Setting stomp boxes was easy and frankly, being a computer programmer with a one year old kid, I do not have much time to play with this thing. I just don't seem to get the EQ concept. Thanks in advance for any replies.

eventually it will be the manual that you throw out the window, and not the rp12. Instead, sell the rp12 and get a line 6 from pod, ask any guitarist who has ever used one, search any bbs you like, and read any review on teh planet. It is way more up your alley... If you absolutely must stick with the rp12, frequency goes up with pitch.
at 20 hz, or 20 cycles per second, the pitch is so low that it is the bottom range of human perception, very sub bass. At the top is 20 khz, or 20,000 cycles a second, a pitch so high most humans can't hear it. (dogs can, so if you're only composing for fido...) so if you want to boost your highs and mid frequencies, boost the ones anywhere from 2.5 k, on up. Go to the recordingwebsite.com for great eq instructions for any instrument.
~~

Parametric EQ: You choose a frequency to either cut or boost
Graphic EQ: the frequency is pre-chosen and you can on cut and boost. (some only cut)

Low 80hz-250HZ
mid (250-5000)
high 5000 +

The effect order is pre-chosen in the RP12 right? (it is on the RP3).

Graphic EQs let you adjust the gain of pre-set frequencies while Parametric EQs allow you to select the frequency you want to adjust the gain for. A good way to see this in action is to play something through the eq and crank the Gain knob on the EQ up all the way and then turn the Freqency knob in both directions, you should be able to hear the boost in different frequencies as you turn. Almost like a wah pedal.

"Q" refers to how "wide" of a frequency range you boost or cut. For example, with Q set to a low number you could effectively boost or cut one specific frequency only. A higher Q setting will boost or cut (depending on the gain knob) more and more frequencies on either side of the Frequency you select.
Imagine a bell curve that gets wider and wider as you increase the Q.
Do the same with this knob with the gain cranked and you should hear the results of that too.

[This message has been edited by BigKahuna (edited 07-24-1999).]

Back