Bad "E" note!!

Donny

Okay people, I've got a problem that has me going a little nuts. For the past 4 years I've been playing a (Peavey Fury Bass) and love the little begger. It has the fastest action I've ever played (35Years). Here's what just started happing over the weekend. The "E" note on my "A" string started sounding like SHIT, no other way to put it. I go flat and sharp and everything sounds fine it's just the "E" note other than that the Bass plays great. I checked the fret and I can't see anything wrong. What's going on here??? Donny!!!
P.S. I've tried it on three different amps all the same and all other "E" notes are fine...

Possibly a dead string... Have you changed strings lately??? (serious question - you'd be surprised at how many people don't!!!)

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Intonation? Bridge adjustment? A bass player buddy pulled out an import bass, gave it to me and said "what is wrong with this bass?" I took in hand and looked it over and said "nothin'". Turns out the doubledot octave markers were at the 13th fret.

check the third fret

sounds like fret buzz.tape around the fret with masking tape and polish with #100 steel wool to remove any burrs.If that doesn't do ,its time for a fret job.
Tom

When in doubt, change the string, even a new string. You didn't say what the string was doing. If it is a dead note, it sounds like bad resonance at that frequency or the string. If you can feel the neck vibrate on that note more than the others, then it is resonance.

Thanks!!!

Thanks to all for your help. I haven't changed the strings in quite some time I can do that. I just can't get around the fact that it's only the "E" note on the "A" string. All other "E" notes on the Bass are fine and this started right out of the blue. Also if it were a bad string how come all the other notes on that string sound fine?? By the way does anyone know anything about a Fender Squier Standard P-Bass?? My local dealer has them on sale for $249.99 all I know about them is that their a 5 string and I've been thinking about picking one up. Any help will be appreciated. Another quick note I have grown to love this forum. Sence I started reading it about 6 mouths ago I have learned a lot and still do. Again thinks to all!!! Donny!!!

Check the next fret. Frequently you will find a fret starting to bulge off the fretboard, causing the note one fret below it to hit the bulging fret when played.

Back