Bad Connection?

Walt-Dogg

Using my rig today I noticed a noise something like that of an intermittent cable or 1/4'' jack. I just picked up a 4x12 that I'm using also I'm yet to get my head serviced. But anyways here's what I've got going.

Dan Armstrong ADA6 > Live Wire 10' > ProCo RAT 2 > LiveWire 10' > Sunn Concert Lead > LiveWire 3' > Marshall 1960 Lead 4x12

All in all it could just be a bad cable or a battery going bad which I hope. But it happens at random maybe I should record a sample?

Since that head is over thirty years old, I'd 'service' that amp first. Nothing in your chain seems weird or a candidate for trouble, unless you abuse your gear.

Using my rig today I noticed a noise something like that of an intermittent cable or 1/4'' jack. I just picked up a 4x12 that I'm using also I'm yet to get my head serviced. But anyways here's what I've got going.

Dan Armstrong ADA6 > Live Wire 10' > ProCo RAT 2 > LiveWire 10' > Sunn Concert Lead > LiveWire 3' > Marshall 1960 Lead 4x12

All in all it could just be a bad cable or a battery going bad which I hope. But it happens at random maybe I should record a sample?

The Live Wire 3' cable is a speaker (not instrument) cable, right? You don't want to power a speaker through an instrument cable.

That's a tube amp, right? You want to be very sure that the speaker cable and the jacks it plugs into are good; a short or open circuit in a speaker line while you are playing can severely damage your amp if it has a tube output stage. If you think there may be a problem in the speaker or speaker cable, then STOP trying to play on that amp until you find and fix the problem.

I try my best to keep my gear nice. Servicing my amp is first on my list when I get home from school this coming holiday.

It's actually a solid state, the only tube amps I touch are Marshall JMP MKII's, for everything else I use solid state Sunns.

What specifically is a "speaker cable"? No one has ever really clarified this with me.

The sound seems to have gone away though, so I dunno what's up...

What specifically is a "speaker cable"? No one has ever really clarified this with me.
Speaker cable and instrument cable are two different critters. One is shielded, one is not - don't remember which. They are not interchangeable. Look it up. Google is yer friend.

lou

Speaker cable and instrument cable are two different critters. One is shielded, one is not - don't remember which. They are not interchangeable. Look it up. Google is yer friend.

lou

Speaker cable is 2 insulated wires-like the cord on a lamp. Instrument cable has a hot lead that is shielded by the coax ground that is wrapped around it.

A band member from a few years back was constantly having problems with his amp cutting out-which was a nice vintage Bandmaster head into a 2 x 12 Fender cabinet. I took a look and saw that he was using a instrument cable-I told him to never use an instrument cable for a speaker connection and that solved the situation!!

Wait a minute-I just realized that you have one of the old Plexi-glas guitars with the interchangable pickups. I would check those pickups out for a dirty or loose connection as well as checking out the amp

Last edited:
Back