backing up your cakewalk files

auburncatfish

How does everyone else in the homerecording universe back up their cakewalk sonar files? Do you save them as bundles and burn them or something else? I was plannning on backing up my files with my cd burner.

I have quite a bit of stuff I need to move off the HD that I want to keep but not work on right now cause I`m on a project I want to finish. I`m considering saving all the tunes as .bun files onto cd. I believe it should work ok, if it saves ALL associated files and settings in the bundle. I`ll let you know what happens to mine. I`m using Sonar 2 XL.

i save as .bun.
there's a program you can download off the net that lets you find the .wav files for each cakewalk project.
saving as .bun is easier. it just takes longer everytime you open the project.
each of my songs takes up from 200 to 400megs. i usually store 2 to 3 songs in each 700mb cd.
if you have .bun files bigger than 700mb, you can either get a file splitting software or get a dvd-r. ;)

I did that awhile ago, saved as .bun and burnt to cd but I had files that were well over 700MB. So I just copied half the tracks to another file and saved it as two .bun files. Just make sure to label everything so the right track goes back to the right place with the coresponding plug-ins.

I bought a third harddisk as big as my audiodisk and backup the whole 40Gb's of audiodata (projectfiles & wavefiles) in about 10 minutes every two weeks...it's more expensive, but it surely beats backing up all those seperate *.buns that don't fit on a cd anyway. :)

I use the Folder-per-Project option and just burn the whole directory to CD. If it's bigger than 700 MB it's easy to split. :)

Cakewalk does it, and by "Cakewalk" I mean "Sonar".

I don't know about the other Cakewalk-products, though... ;)

:D

I thought so too, but there was one chap here who used about Guitar Studio. I was confused.

And the Folder-per-Project thing was introduced with Sonar 2.

why the heck didn't they think of it before? people have been complaining about that for a long time, as far as i know.

postalblue said:
why the heck didn't they think of it before? people have been complaining about that for a long time, as far as i know.
I guess they're slow... ;)

In SONAR 2.2XL, I would always save as .bun for audio contained projects, and .cwp for MIDI only projects.

...saved including Soundfonts (.sf2) files related to the project (if any). And Plugins Manager files (.spp) for the Plugins setting. :)

;)
Jaymz

Bundles takes forever to load (compared to cwp). I don't see the advantage of saving bundles instead of using Folder-per-project.

Somebody enlighten me!

i use to save as bundles until sonar 2 came out with per project folders.

now, i save to a CD-RW. that way all of my individual tracks go into the audio folder and my cakewalk .cwp file and the mixed wave and the mastered wave all go into the same archive CD. if there isn't enough space for 1 CD its no big deal. i save as many wave files as possible on the 1 CD and then put the rest on the other.

It's just that I got my "Sonar 2 Power"-book last week, and Garrigus tells me that "it's an advantage to save audiocontaining projects as a bundle". I just don't see this advantage...

they don't take that long to load though. only like 20sec on my computer, if i'm not mistaken. but then i only save them as .bun when i'm about to do a backup.

Back