backing up protools on a mac g4

mojovoodoo

hello i have been away from this site for about a year,i didn't even think the forum existed anymore,(it's harder to navigate)anyhoo i am working with protools le 5.2 n a mac g4,by way of the new (very fragile) m box.forgive me,i am a novice with all of this.i need to back up these songs somehow.there is no dvd ram on this system which i was told was the easiest most cost effective and takes less time,i was told about retrospect software as well which should realistically take about 3 days straight and about 30 cd's.i was told the cd only holds like 50 mb'sthe session is 12 songs and already taking up 36gigs.oh,i am using the glyph 40 as external hard drive.please respond as to what my options are.the budget is very limited and i have no knowledge of the computer,this is my first session on a computer and i am learning so much about editing and mixing on this thing(nothing is tactile,i am doing it by the mouse and keyboard)but surely there must be other options other than the 2 i have mentioned.thanx all--mojovoodoo@allcet.com

If you want to spend a little money, you can get a DDS3 or DDS4 drive. You can find DDS3 drives for as low as $600, and use it with Retrospect Software. One DDS3 DAT tape will hold 12 GB of data, so most sessions will only require one or two tapes. Tapes should cost you about $16-17 apiece.

If you are going to be doing this a lot, it's a good system to invest in.

the dat tape system gets to be expensive,although eventually i will be slowly building my own studio(someday)this is my sister's setup,and already we have gone way over budget.i was thinking along the lines of $150 (cheap aren't we?)but i checked out synchronize stuff,and the prices are great,is this a safe way to back up?and which version are you all familiar with?

If you don't mind getting inside your G4 (shouldn't be a problem with that case ;) ) you could always just get a big, cheap ATA drive (what comes in most FireWire cases anyway) and copy everything over then remove and store it someplace safe. Other than that FW would probably be the best bang for your bucks.

I read about a guy that made his clients purchase a FW drive for their sessions just like you used to buy analog tape. This was mainly to release him from the responsibility for the data. Makes sense to me.

ok we bought another firewire hardrive (60 gigs should be enough for now)but last night my sister copied the whole session onto the hard drive and it is safely put away. today i try to pull up the whole session and every song i wanna listen to says DAE error 9060do the problems never stop?this weekend i have the whole house and can track all day and all night,or so i thought what is this error?the reference guide says nothing about a DAE error,actually i hate this book ,it tells you that you can do things ,but not how or why!!!HELP ME,is this error due to the hard drive dump?or am i just doing something wrong?please respond asap or email me @
mojovoodoo@allcet.com
thank you

You can't run the session off the FW drive.

You'll have to copy the sessions back to your internal to run them.

This is a good source of info for PT. Better than that f'n manual (I hate that thing too!).

Back