backing up files

ollie99

Hi guys
yesterday I stupidly dropped my hp laptop and when I turned it on it said the cooling fan isn't working. So I took it to a guy and he said he can't do anything at the moment so I can still use it just not for long periods and to save my work often! So I will get it fixed soon but the laptop still works fine.
But this has brought me to actually doing what I have been meaning to do for a while - backing up the files on my laptop. I know how to do the normal files because I've already backed up the family laptop a while ago, but what reaper files do I need to backup?
I know there is a similarish thread like this not so long ago but I looked at it and the question is slightly different to mine from what I read so please don't have a go at me.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Just backup everything in the Reapers Media folder, any other folders where you store song files, and your plug-ins from the VST folder.

If you're prone to dropping things, I'd hold off on a high-dollar acoustic guitar for now - they can be a bit fragile! :facepalm:

Just backup everything in the Reapers Media folder, any other folders where you store song files, and your plug-ins from the VST folder.

If you're prone to dropping things, I'd hold off on a high-dollar acoustic guitar for now - they can be a bit fragile! :facepalm:

okey doke, haha I'm not that bad, was a bit of a random, I've never done anything like that to any of my guitars before

its a never ending question and new approaches keep improving to back up.
unfortunately, I still havent figured it out yet. Making a copy is one thing, one part of it.
the other part, I find more elusive , is bringing it back in and actually being able to use the stored data in Reaper.
Its not as easy as savings jpg's or word docs. imo

guitarplayer82 mentioned doing the entire bootable disk method which I might try and at least would have it saved.

how much space will that take roughly? considering that I have about 15 projects saved.

The same amount of space as what you have used on your hard drive. If you're running a PC, click on 'My Computer', then your hard drive (C, usually), then right click on that, click on properties, that will tell you how much space is being used on your hard drive.

Back