Back to basics, hooking up my Tascam mixer to firewire interface, need your help?

psongman

HI, long time since I frequented this forum, but when I did, I used to get the assistance and expertise that I needed. So, I bought a Tascam M-164FX this past summer to record on into my Firefly interface. The manual is terrible that Tascam included as it spends most of the pages explaining how to hook up its brother the M-164UF with usb connectivity.

I need your help in connecting the inputs and outputs correctly for running to the interface and back and into some monitors, OK. It has line outs, sub outs, Aux sends 1 and 2 and, of course, internal effects. I guess what I am not grasping, is, for monitoring, should be zero latency, right? Do you send the Main outs to the interface or the AUX ones or the SUB, and consequently what comes back to where. I can't get a handle on the best method as I used to use the Audiophile 2496 with a Behringer mixer before. I know someone here has been through the hooking up fire and knows the ins and outs.

I am sure there are other mixers that mirror mine, so if you know a tried and true avenue that would suffice. Guess I would get a better handle on using my mixer too, which could come in handy, probably for live sound too, OK, over and out, thanks for listening, hope you can help, psingman

Seriously man? Sorry you had a bad experience. I am guessing that your choice of forum to post in may have led to lack of response. Or maybe you disrespected most members with your 'firefly interface' comment. Or maybe you just demand 'free' support from people because the earth revolves around you?

Most people here, do not demand information. The ones that do, can go their own way and suck on their own. Good luck psongattitude.

By the way, I don't hold grudges, and we can overlook this whole thing. In fact I will erase it if you like. But......yer call man.

JUst caught my post on the Net and went back in to check it out. Wow, what a bunch of useless replies. If you can't understand the topic then you must be past pathetic yourselves. I mean I have been inquiring about hooking this mixer up and, TBH, noone has been able to provide a decent answer. I hope you are more merciful to other posters, DR

I just downloaded and read the manual and all your answers are all there, for example:-

• The M-164UF mixer can simultaneously send independent signals of input channels 1–10 and the AUX 1/2, STEREO and SUB busses to the computer. Since the input channel signals sent to the computer are post-fader signals, the HPF, EQ and fader M-164UF mixer settings do affect them.
The output level settings of the AUX 1/2, STEREO and SUB busses (AUX MASTER 1 and 2 knobs, ST and SUB fader settings) also affect their signals.
• The stereo output from the computer can also be sent to the M-164UF mixer by USB. The stereo signals sent from the computer are input on the 11-12 channels of the M-164UF mixer, so it is possible to mix and output them from the mixer together with other input signals.

There are even diagrams on how to set it up?

Sorry you can't understand the manual, but don't get on this forum and blame everyone for your own short coming.

Alan.

....except our friend Mr. Psongman bought the basic FX model, not the UFX so, in effect, he has the wrong unit for the job.

He also doesn't specify which model of Firefly interface he has so we don't know how many inputs and outputs he has to play with.

To Psongman...there's various ways to do this but I'd probably send the main L/R out to the inputs of your interface. Bring the line outs from your interface into a spare stereo line input.

Feed your monitoring from the Sub outputs. Use the routing switches to send the soundcard output (the line inputs) just to the Sub. Send the new material you are recording to the Stereo out (for recording) AND the Sub out, thereby creating a monitoring mix you can listen to.

Not elegant because this isn't the ideal mixer...but it should work.

See, we do know--even though your attitude makes it difficult to want to help.

Hey witzendoz! You provide the great information. I am much pleased to read your post. Thanks for share your informative post.

Back