Back to analog...all the way!

SkyLounger

This has to be one of the happiest days of my life!!!!!

Here I am, after almost two years of searching and bargaining!

Back to full analog, no digital involved...

Pioneer SX-1080 ( my teenage dream)
TEAC X-300
Pioneer CTF-650
Technics SL-B10
Yamaha NS-C386

So, as you can see, all I'm missing is a really good turntable and a pair of HPM-150 or maybe those new Cerwin-Vega's with the 15" woofers.

Next will be a second turntable with an old school mixer like the Telec MX-3A, that's if I can find one :confused:

And then, I've got to clean those +- 2500 45RPM's I just bought (some great stuff in there ;) )

So, that's it for now, thanks to all of you who clued me in! But, I'll be back for more...that's a promise

SkyLounger

:cool: I finally found a place to put my turntable and have been pulling out old records , some mint, some not so mint, but I've been finding myself sorta turning away from buying any new CDs right now, because now I wan't to buy some more records! :D

Sky, Steve....

I swear, it's like animal instinct....once you grew with analog, you just can't quit it. 500 Lps here, also 78s, and I bought Johnny Cash's last Rubin disc both on CD and on 180 gram vinyl as a tribute to the man and the sound.
Fun sick stuff: the Decemberists released their latest CD 'Picaresque' as a double 180-grammer LP with cuts UNAVAILABLE on the CD...got to love that.

I have a Studer 807 that I love more than the 'easy' 24 tracks I get with my Tascam 2488....IT JUST SOUNDS BETTER...sorry for yelling :D

A work colleague wants one of the last Studer 827 Platinum Edition machines (24 tracks, 800 pounds) for his....home studio....I wish I had a house, I just might join him....these are special days for analog, we should all make use of it, because they won't return.

Tape will never be replaced.

Best,
C.

You guys are right...

I've just started the process of cleaning my 2000+ 45RPM I just bought, and now I found a guy who's ready to sell me his collection of 12' disco ep's at a cheap price!! More fun to come...

Also, a work colleague of mine just sold me a Technics SL-B1200 and and 4 track Teac reel-to-reel. It seems that once you start talking about it, everyone has some equipment for sale in his basement. ;)

Cheers, SkyLounger

I love analogue :D

For many years reel to reel media has been my 1 and only choice of recording media. When i transferred all of my cd's to reel to reel, i broomed all my cd's and kept the tape reels. I have just purchased a Teac A-3300S reel to reel machine on ebay with 10 X 10.5" tape reels. I already own the following recording media,

10.5" NAB reels.........10 (arriving with machine)
7" reels...................70
5 3/4" reels..............11
5" reels....................6
4" reels....................2
3" reels....................2

I also have An Aiwa Model AX-7500 Tuner Amplifier with a Model AP-2200 direct drive turntable. And it is great.

I dont have the turntable set up right now as i am a little stuck for space,
but if you want i can post some pics here. :D

Keith

Last edited:
SteveMac said:
:cool: I finally found a place to put my turntable and have been pulling out old records , some mint, some not so mint, but I've been finding myself sorta turning away from buying any new CDs right now, because now I wan't to buy some more records! :D

I know exactly what you mean. I used to buy dozens of CD's a year, now I buy cheap records. In my girlfriend's hometown there's a store where you can buy a lot of records for $1 or less each. I bought the entire Scorpions catalog for about $8. Last time I was there ZZ Top and .38 Special albums were all 25 cents!

The most money I've ever shelled out on a record is about $15. I've done that maybe 3 or 4 times, and gotten albums like Jimi Hendrix's Axis Bold As Love. That's still about what I would have to pay to hear it on CD, and we KNOW that's not going to sound as good.

-MD

themaddog said:
I know exactly what you mean. I used to buy dozens of CD's a year, now I buy cheap records. In my girlfriend's hometown there's a store where you can buy a lot of records for $1 or less each. I bought the entire Scorpions catalog for about $8. Last time I was there ZZ Top and .38 Special albums were all 25 cents!

The most money I've ever shelled out on a record is about $15. I've done that maybe 3 or 4 times, and gotten albums like Jimi Hendrix's Axis Bold As Love. That's still about what I would have to pay to hear it on CD, and we KNOW that's not going to sound as good.

-MD

At Bullmoose used records cost as much as new CDs. I'll have to find one of these cheap record stores. I know there's one in Methuen I havn't been to.
It's seems like a whole different experience to listen to vinyl because it's more like an event. My choice as of late has been Judas Priest for some reason. I guess it's a nostalgia for the time when they were released and that was THE medium. They're in mint condition and they sound GREAT.

If you want to hear a completely different experience than what you hear on CD, listen to Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest on vinyl. Sounds like nothing I've ever heard on CD. I was kinda shocked back when I heard it again.

Last edited:
Records are good, but what you really want to do is stream the audio onto computer and remove any "hiss" or background "humming" noise you may get on some record players. When i transfer audio to tape reel i record into my computer using Goldwave then i run a few noise filters over it then record from computer to tape reel, and the results were brilliant :)

Keith

Last edited:
This weekend, picked up a Pioneer RT-1050 with 4 10.5 in reels (3 with tape) for 15 bucks and a Pioneer RT-701 for 5$.

A bit of cleaning up to do but all seems to work well...

SkyLounger said:
This weekend, picked up a Pioneer RT-1050 with 4 10.5 in reels (3 with tape) for 15 bucks and a Pioneer RT-701 for 5$.

A bit of cleaning up to do but all seems to work well...

That's a score, with the 701. Nice. :cool:

SkyLounger said:
Hey Steve!

Do you mean to say that I should invest more time and money in refurbishing the 701 than the 1050?

Any advice welcome...

I'm just saying you got a real good deal on the 701. I don't know anything about the 1050, but I like the compact design of the 701, I've been wanting to get one of those. They have three heads with a pitch control on them so you could use it as tape echo too. They usually go between $75 and $125 (or more depending). Its definately worth a good cleaning. I don't know how much more I'd invest in it , but if it's working good you got a deal.

Back