bacement studio problems with foot steps

28seven

hey i am currently working on a studio it promises to be pretty damn good but one thing that really pisses me off is random noises and foot steps coming in from above there are 2x10 rafters in the ceiling im really for a loss on how to do this any help would be appreciated

floor plans for the studio can be seen in the attachment on on the website www.28seven.com

How much head room you got? Your best option will be to frame in another ceiling isolated from the first by an air gap, but this will chop out about a foot of your existing clearance. Post some more details and we can try and work out a solution.

Alex

the celings are only 80" tall wich is shit so i dont think theres much of a chance of that unless i want like 4' celings

where can i get rockwool and how much does it cost im lookin for a way to save cash too cuz im 17 and have no steady job (i know what ur all sayin but its working well sorta) any way if you could tell me the details and maybe some alternative methods

Check out the U.S. manufacturer's site:

http://www.thermafiber.com/

If you call them they can probably give you the name of a supplier in your area. The stuff you want is the 3-in fireblanket (FS-15). It's not much more than standard fiberglass insulation.

Good Luck.

Alex

Soundproofing requires mass and de-coupling. There are no shortcuts that really work. The good news is, of all building materials, the ones with the best performance are close to being the cheapest. I'm talking about sheet rock (about $4 to $5 per sheet, 4x8 feet) and MDF or particle board, about $10-15 per sheet depending on thickness. Resilient channel is more of a specialty item, and may be harder to find.

Anything you can do to add mass to either the top or bottom covering of the joists will help with sound deadening. If you have access to the upper floor, sometimes it's easier to add a layer of mass under carpeting than it is to add too much to the underside of the joists.

Some people use old sleeping bags, moving blankets, etc, to help deaden sound. They don't do anywhere near as good a job as what I recommended, and they are a major fire hazard. After seeing two people burned to death in a flash fire I will NEVER recommend anything that will burn quickly for inside building materials, other than minor wood trim...

I know you already said that you need to keep the costs low but if you decide you want to decouple the bastard you can run new joists between the old joists (and an inch or two below) as long as there isnt plumbing or HVAC in the way. the longer the span the harder it gets and this will end up being a huge project.

if you have 2x10 joists at 16'' on center you may be able to minimize the random sound leaking by insulating and putting up sheetrock or 1/2' ply on the current ceiling (both, ideally) this wouldnt do anything to stop structural transmission but if your biggest concern is footfalls it may do what you need it to.

I wonder if he got it done?

:D

Doubt it, unless he moved shop to the attic. Ppl walking is a huge gripe of mine.. Except for one worse thing: My dog has this ball you fill up with food, when she rolls it around the food slowly falls out. But it's not a ROUND ball, ohhh no... It's more like a soccer ball with 30 or so flat sides, so it'll stop rolling faster. And it's hard, so the thing sounds like a fuggen machine gun when I'm downstairs, easily the loudest noise I have to deal with..... You can forget about tracking til she's done eating, which takes like 1/2 an hour..

Back