Baba O'Riley Cover

uncle sixer

This was a fun project and I think it is done now. I did all the backup tracks and my buddy did the vocals remotely and sent a stem back, then I put the lead guitar on. I have messed with stems before, but this is the first time a stem has gone into a final mix, pretty cool, I think. He had already put his own FX on the vocals (didn't send a dry track), so all I did there was try to tame a couple of his S's and peaks, then sent it lightly into the project's reverb bus.

There are a few guitar tracks, one obviously inspired by the Edge sound, hard-panned guitars are supposed to be late 80s LA sound and early 90s Seattle sound, the leads are my version of what Slash might sound like playing the Baba leads.... and then there is the pick scrape... best pick scrape of my life ;)

The main rhythm guitar is boring, but I kinda feel like it needs to be there.

Any thoughts about the overall balance? Vocal level? Lead guit level? Part of me says the leads are too loud and then part of me says it only seems that way because the tone cuts hard and stands out.

**Check further down the page for the new, improved version.**

Last edited:
I don't think the lead guitar is too strong. It needs to stand out, just like the vocals. Its recognizable but not a complete attempt to clone the Who's version.

Good job.

A bit like the Who, a bit like the Velvets. Levels: I'd bring the vocal down 1 dB (it's forward) and that guitar that sounds like a fire alarm up a dB (it's buried) and leave everything else like it is. Good tune.

I liked it. Yo me you pulled off a bit of who mixed with U2.

The main rhythm guitar..... was that cut and paste? In addition to being a tad loud it seemed to lack life.
As simple as the chord progression is, when Pete plays it, it’s on fire.
This track seemed just repetitive. Maybe that’s why you think it’s boring?? And yes! It needs to be there.
Vocals were a bit loud and were pitchy in spots.

But overall good job you pulled it off 👍

Generally quite nice. Vocal effects don't match the mix, but you explained why that is. Vocal is also a bit pitchy in spots.

Guitars sound good. Well done.

I like it - you are doing your version - now critiquing - The Rhythm Guitars IMO need to be bigger and more separation - I think you should make the Edge part louder - the Lead guitar parts need more energy - the vocals are good but drag on the rhythms - you are bit behind the beat - The pick scape is cool!

Thanks, everyone, I took all the advice into consideration...

The hard-panned guitars have more character, so I turned down the main rhythm and brought up the more distorted parts

I brought up the edge guitar a bit and knocked the vox down a bit

It does get repetitive (I did not copy/paste guitars, but they do feel robotic... my buddy DID copy/paste vocals for the final choruses, so there was not much variation there). I changed-up the final choruses with a few things and I think that helps.

I really thought the mix was great before, but I appreciate everyone's input. It is even better now, about the best I can make it at this point! Other people's ears can obviously make a big difference when mine get tired!

Thanks again!

NEW VERSION:

I think I am often guilty of too much bass... I will have to listen again with a few different speakers...
Sure, good idea. But my ears don't even hear a lot of difference when I roll off electric bass at 40 Hz or 70 Hz. It feels a lighter at 70 Hz is all. I think I should be hearing a bigger difference. And if you're not hearing it, then there's not much point in references, right?

Sure, good idea. But my ears don't even hear a lot of difference when I roll off electric bass at 40 Hz or 70 Hz. It feels a lighter at 70 Hz is all. I think I should be hearing a bigger difference. And if you're not hearing it, then there's not much point in references, right?
I usually put a high pass on the mix at 40, so no surprise there. I feel like the high pass lets me bring the levels up a little without hitting compression and limiting too hard with frequencies that get lost for a lot of listeners... but I will go back and experiment, maybe move the high pass down to 30 or 25. Thanks.

This is a mix taste observation, but I am craving more forward drums. I want to hear thunderous drums out front. Your treatment of the guitars is really good. Nice thick wall. Creative change out at the end as well. If the drummer is midi based, it's hard to get them to "speed the tempo". :D

This is a mix taste observation, but I am craving more forward drums. I want to hear thunderous drums out front. Your treatment of the guitars is really good. Nice thick wall. Creative change out at the end as well. If the drummer is midi based, it's hard to get them to "speed the tempo". :D
Yes, midi drums... but I think I do a pretty fair job of humanizing and treating the drums, I have only ever used a couple of free drum plugins and a couple of my mixes have left listeners saying, "wow, great drummer". If you would have asked me 20 years ago, I never would have believed what is possible with midi today.

But anyway, since I know they are midi, I tend to be self-conscious and don't let them get too prominent. I want most of my stuff to have my guitar and bass playing up front.

Back