B3 vs B1 vs M179 overheads

dudge

What are your experiences with these mics?
What would make a better O/H pair?
What do you prefer on acoustic instruments, amps etc. and why?
I'm wanting a pair of one of these for O/H and general use on acoustic instruments, amps, toms, etc.
I see DOT recommending the B1 a lot.
How does the M179 compare. What is better or not as good about it in comparison to the B series?
I already have a pair of C4's and want a pair of LDC.
Thanks

dudge said:
What are your experiences with these mics?
What would make a better O/H pair?
What do you prefer on acoustic instruments, amps etc. and why?
I'm wanting a pair of one of these for O/H and general use on acoustic instruments, amps, toms, etc.
I see DOT recommending the B1 a lot.
How does the M179 compare. What is better or not as good about it in comparison to the B series?
I already have a pair of C4's and want a pair of LDC.
Thanks
I liked the B3 more than the B1... and I've never used the M179 before so I can't comment on it, however, from what I've read about it, if I had to buy only one pair of the mic you listed without auditioning them first I'd pick the CAD M179's first.

DJL said:
I liked the B3 more than the B1... and I've never used the M179 before so I can't comment on it, however, from what I've read about it, if I had to buy only one pair of the mic you listed without auditioning them first I'd pick the CAD M179's first.

Thanks for the reply DJL.
What did you like more about the sound of the B3 than the B1, and for what uses?

Anyone else compared any or all of these mics?

B3

my B3 worked great for a year or so of regular studio use. Then I used it to mic a loud gtr amp one day, and it died. Now it sounds fizzly and nowhere near as full as it did before. I guess my point is that their QC is OK at best... :eek:

paranoid said:
my B3 worked great for a year or so of regular studio use. Then I used it to mic a loud gtr amp one day, and it died. Now it sounds fizzly and nowhere near as full as it did before. I guess my point is that their QC is OK at best... :eek:

Why don't you email Alan Hyatt at pmiaudio.com explaining the problem, and see what he can do for you. Their customer support has an excellent reputation.

paranoid said:
I guess my point is that their QC is OK at best... :eek:

I hardly think that user-caused damage qualifies as poor QC. Follow crazydoc's advice and contact PMI. Their customer support is unbeatable.

dudge said:
Thanks for the reply DJL.
What did you like more about the sound of the B3 than the B1, and for what uses?

Anyone else compared any or all of these mics?
The B3 was smoother on most things... but, I did like the B1 on the fender twin. I also had some problems with the B1 (it stop working) but, that's neither here or there anymore since I've replaced/up-graded to better mics... anyway, I'd recommend getting the B3 over the B1... but I'd checkout the M179 first.

paranoid said:

How did you mic the amp? Just throw the bare mic in front of it, or how? Did you have the pad on? Just saying you "used it and it died" doesn't necessarily mean QC problems. At any rate, their service is top notch.

dudge: I would recommend the M179's - great versitile mics that should do the trick as OH's.

Back