B1 for recording guitar amps

looser

ok, everyone sugest to record an electric guitar and amp, yo u should use somthing like a sm57 up close and then a condenser mic a little farther back. well every condenser mic ive tried to use(MLX 2003, and that cheep nady one that they sell) it always distorts no matter what. so i was curious if this b1 mic would be worth it for that application

Is it the mic or the preamp that's distorting? Maybe you need to turn down the gain, back the mic off farther, or get a mic with a 10dB or greater pad, like the SPB3.

Rocket Boy- That depends on the room, what's being played on that cab, and how loud it is. Quality- and quantity matter. The answer is- until it sounds good. You need a mic or a preamp with a pad, or back the mic off however far you have to, but phase issues may kick in then. Get a pad. You can also buy it cheap as a box, just the pad, and use the B-1, or maybe even your cheapass Nady.-Richie

hey thanks, the marshal 2003 has a 10db pad and i used that and i had the mic about 3ft away and worked back for their but ti was still doin it. i dont have a pre amp just my beringer eurotrac 2442 mixer.(im about to get a preamp though) mabey the amp was just too loud because i brought the mixer levels down as low as they could go.so you think the b1 would be a smart wat to go once i fix my other problems

Ive never owned guitar strings but I have a guitar I play.:D

The mixer has preamps. Turn the gain down on the mixing board and see if that helps.

The best studio amp sound is produced by amps of 10 watts or less...theres a few tube ones out there like the crate VC5. or the tech 21 trademark 10. Id reccomend trying those for the sound you want.

Then think about micing using that method.

sounds like you got the gain too high on the desk. put it down, raise the fader to a managable level and then play.

darrin_h2000 said:
The best studio amp sound is produced by amps of 10 watts or less...

That's . . . uh . . . interesting, Darrin. I'll have to make a mental note of that. Small Crate amps = best studio amp sound? :confused: :confused:

i've got access to a Fender Ultimate Chorus (SS, 80W), a Fender Twin Reverb, a Fender Blonde Blues Junior and a Dean Markley 40W tube head. By far the best recorded guitar sound of the bunch comes from the Blues Junior.

The UC sounds like SS crap for the most part, the Dean Markley is nice, but i usually run it through a 4x10 cabinet which is usually a bit too much. The Twin.....well....it sounds great, but when it's turned to 7 or so to get it sounding great, I can't even get in the same area code with it. It's been "Marshalled out", so it's only 1 channel and really, really, really loud.

Give me a small tube amp anyday if i'm gonna be using it to record. hell, i'd rather use one on stage, too, if it's gonna be mic'd and monitored correctly.

i'm a big proponent of "quieter usually sounds better". cleaner, certainly. i'd steer clear of anything reading "Crate" on it, though.

wade

Back