B&O BM6

artr

Hey all, this might not be the right place to ask about a microphone, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people in here, so I thought I´d just try. I recently acquired a B&O BM6, I´m trying to open it up, but the insert with the ribbon seems impossible to get out. Does anyone know how to do this, maybe I need some special tool?

Why do you need to get inside? Is it not working? Steve Sank from Cloud may be able to help you as may ENAK, or AEA.

Yep, no sound out of the mic, rattling inside and "popping" noises when plugged in and shaken a bit, so I think the ribbon is done, and I want to try to replace it. I can´t afford to send it in to get work done on it, so I figured I might as well try myself. Thanks, I will google those!

Long ribboned mics of that era are quite delicate and should be handled carefully. Shaking them will damage the ribbon as will being exposed to excessive transients or blasts of air. I'd find out the cost of having a pro fix it because if you get in it and destroy the motor, you'll just end up with a nice looking paperweight.

Long ribboned mics of that era are quite delicate and should be handled carefully. Shaking them will damage the ribbon as will being exposed to excessive transients or blasts of air. I'd find out the cost of having a pro fix it because if you get in it and destroy the motor, you'll just end up with a nice looking paperweight.
The ribbon is already blown, so I don´t think I can make it that much worse. Well I could of course, but I really can´t afford to get it fixed, so it´s a paperweight until i fix it anyway. I figured it out though, just if anyone in the future needs this info - I took out the 9 pin socket at the top by removing the two very small screws, coaxed it out with a screwdriver, desoldered it. Then I lightly tapped the motor insert from the now open top of the mic with a hammer and a hex-key inbetween, and it came out.

Back