B-1 making bad noise

HepMeSumbody

Just plugged my new B-1 into my DMP3 and turned on the phantom power, and the VU meter is jumping around like a cat on fire, and the room is totally silent. So I bypassed the pre and plugged right into the back of the BR1180, turned on the phantom power, plugged in the headphones and brought up the sensitivity and faders. I'm getting this random rumbling sound, almost like wind hitting the mic. I'm assuming the mic is bad, but thought I'd ask around before I send it back. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone out there? Thanks.

HepMeSumbody said:
Just plugged my new B-1 into my DMP3 and turned on the phantom power, and the VU meter is jumping around like a cat on fire, and the room is totally silent. So I bypassed the pre and plugged right into the back of the BR1180, turned on the phantom power, plugged in the headphones and brought up the sensitivity and faders. I'm getting this random rumbling sound, almost like wind hitting the mic. I'm assuming the mic is bad, but thought I'd ask around before I send it back. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone out there? Thanks.

Yeah, others on this BBS have reported having that problem too. That problem seems to be one of the more common problems with the B1 mic's. Sense your B1 is new... I'd just return it to whoever you bought it from and ask them for new one that works.

Oh, if you shake your B1 a little does it make more noise?

The rumbling is pretty constant, so it's hard to tell, but other than some slight clicking (which may be related to the XLR connection), I don't hear much difference with the shaking. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

That problem seems pretty common with not just B1s but with many chineese LD condisners. One of the two MXL V93s I purchased recently had it. Send it back.

HepMeSumbody said:
The rumbling is pretty constant, so it's hard to tell, but other than some slight clicking (which may be related to the XLR connection), I don't hear much difference with the shaking. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Others were having B1 internal mount problems too... and you could hear more noise when you shook the B1 mic a little. That's why I asked about shaking it. But, your problem just seems like the normal screwed-up B1 diaphragm problem.

Anyway, your welcome.

I have the problem with my behringer b-1 too. It sounds almost like rustling leaves and it becomes stronger when I switch the low-cut filter on. Very strange.. I might be able to test my microphone on a SPL 9945 preamp and then I should be able to tell if the microphone is faulty or not with an A/B comparison. It's very frustrating not to know where the problem is.

8th Street Music e-mailed me a UPS label for pre-paid shipping back. They're probably packing a new B-1 for me as we speak. I "invited" them to test it before they shipped, just in case it's a "batch-related" problem, but their service has been great so far, and that would probably be above and beyond the call of duty. So I'll just cross my fingers...

Back