Awesome New Free VST Host For Sound Designers

Atterion

Just wanted to let you all know about a kick ass new program I stumbled upon called Usine (No, I'm in no way affiliated, just passing this on). It's a lot like EnergyXT, except that it is completely modular. You can for example use math processors and the like to automate vst plugin parameters, or even use 1 plugins parameters to automate another plugins parameters (i.e. change the volume on Plugin A (VSTi of your choice), which outputs a value to adjust the frequency of Plugin B's filter, which in turn send's a value to Plugin C's chorus rate parameter, and so on). Completely mind boggling the sounds you can create. I have waited a LONG time for a program like this, and best of all it's free (Donating $ gives you some additional materials I guess). Everyone who is into sound design, or just wants a an ultra-flexible hosting environment for their plugins should go get this one. A little confusing on somethings when I first used it, but manual is pretty good, and I think they have forums too.

USINE: http://www.sensomusic.com/usine/

cortexx said:
Cool , so its like a free nord modular :D

But much more flexible.

I have encountered bugs in the program whilst using some of my older VST plugins (Like Exciton and MultiLens). Usually it's just simply, the host can not read a vst parameters, and report them properly, and in rare instances some of these Legacy plugins will make the program hang up (Exciton does this). But these are not uncommon problems, especially for new software, you just learn which plugins you can't use, at least until program updates are available, I would say 99% of the plugins I have used worked flawlessly.

I have noticed that my plugins consume more CPU and Ram when used with this program, then with most of my other programs. this is most likely because the entire program operates on the surface of Windows (i.e. it operates from solely within the folder you installed it, and doesn't create a bunch of registry entries). This program takes a little time to figure out, but once you do (and start saving routing patches), you can create hugely complex routings, on the fly with very little effort. This is especially made easy by the inclusion of a patch grid, which allows for multiple simultaneous complete set-ups, with the option of mixing and matching components on the fly (Users of Ableton Live will be extremely comfortable with this method of workflow).

Back