Awakening As One (TOOL, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park)

Good mix. The production is really polished. From a gut feel perspective the song isn't hitting me where it hurts, the progressions are a bit too 'safe' in this tune. Having said that, you've got songwriting skills, so lets hear some more

I think the mix made the progressions sound safer than what they are. There are breaks in between each verse to chorus and with the compression it took some of that dynamic away. When we play it live those breaks sound huge... but those are some of the compromises made to get the punch out... Thanks so much for commenting, any others? :)

I had to stop watching the vid. There were elements that took my mind away from the music: the slight lipsynch problem, playing keys on the desk, the light attack on the instruments - all at odds with the music.
If you sacrificed dynamics for punch them you should've retracked - honestly.
Pretty cool song but even with the compression, as Bulls mentioned, it doesn't hit hard.
More please.

Regarding the lipsynch, I actually recorded the song along with video but obviously can't do it all in one take, hence some spots being a bit off on the video.

IMHO, lightER attack on the instruments is always recommended while tracking.

The punch, yes, it was a mixing issue not a tracking issue (I can post the unmixed version) and I do agree with your comment here.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
It's great. The drums are very nicely mixed. You are a good vocalist. You sort of sound like the Linkin Park guy lol.

My comments were about the video - have a reread - the light attack was how it looked. The keys on the desy with you reaching over didn't reiinforce the slightly macho nature of the rest of the vid.
I don't think an
unmixed" version is much good to anyone. one that is "unmastered" maybe or with fewer dollops of compression would be handy.
If the tracking is good you shouldn't be in a position of killing it off in the mix. What went wrong?

Back