Aw4416

annunaki

Hey guys,

new to the forum. My band is looking at buying a older Yahama AW4416 to record on. Is this a good idea? I see it has only 2 XLR inputs and the rest are TRS inputs (1/4 in). I was thinking we could interface it with a mixer . . . would this work? Or are we going to lose quality? I am getting a good deal on in, like $800 CAD, so maybe take that into consideration. Anyone record on one of these things?

www.annunaki.net

annunaki said:
Hey guys,

new to the forum. My band is looking at buying a older Yahama AW4416 to record on. Is this a good idea? I see it has only 2 XLR inputs and the rest are TRS inputs (1/4 in). I was thinking we could interface it with a mixer . . . would this work? Or are we going to lose quality? I am getting a good deal on in, like $800 CAD, so maybe take that into consideration. Anyone record on one of these things?

www.annunaki.net

i mixed on one for a night and thought it was really cool. we mixed ou tof the analog outputs to dat's converters and then to a cdr burner if i remember correctly. i was surprised at the fidelity.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. We went ahead and bought it. Got a great deal, $1500 CAD for the AW4416, high quality yahama monitors, an effects processor, a patch board and a bunch of cable. The guy threw in 2 extra 20 gig hard drives and an extra CD ROM.

Anyone have any ideas on how to patch in more XLR cables? Is there a piece of equipment that can adapt TRS to XLR over 8-10 channels?

If you want to utilize those trs inputs, you'll need to run your mics through something with a mic pre. Those inputs are more than likely line level ins. You could use another mixer, but you'll need direct outs for each channel.

The AW4416 is a great machine that can now be found at a pretty good price used, as you found out.

I finished my first CD last year with it. The thing is a real bitch to learn how to use and I ended finding someone to give me private lessons on it.........I highly recommend that avenue.

Sure, you can go the computer route, but I think the free-standing unit works best for me. Plus the darn thing was cheap !

Good luck and take a listen to some mp3 samples on my website if you want to hear how a complete rookie managed to do !

www.gregcornett.com

Steep learning curve, but good sound!

I own the AW4416. I recording mostly on computer now, but save it as a backup and travel unit.
It is extremely stable, and gives amazingly excellent results, if used correctly.
It helps to have a good background in audio recording.
I struggled with this unit, until I figured out how to make simple recordings.
I never perceived that I understood the connection routing or conventions, until today. I still do not understand it, but perhaps it is me, or my lack of background.
I agree, that the preamps are the weakest link in the system.
Also, getting your tracks off to put on a computer for editing can be a real BITCH! I solved this problem with use of a lightpipe card and a lightpipe interface. Yamaha, it should not be so difficult.
Converters, surprisingly good. Effects, great! CD demo recordings, surprisingly good.
IMHO.
Yours, ES

Back