AW16G vs MD8 recording

simajanpa

I now own a Yamaha MD8 recorder. I use outboard gear now(compression and reverb) since it has none built-in.

I usually record my tracks WET, and add a touch more at mixdown. I also use this machine as a mixing board (at home)
to practice with. (keyboards+mic+CD)

My question is, IF I choose to buy a Yamaha AW16G, can I still record my vocal signal WET, and/or practice with this setup and have the monitor mix be WET. The way the ad reads for the AW16g and other similar units, it appears that you can only add
the effects AFTER you have recorded your tracks. I can't
imagine this is true. Can an owner of this type of DAW please enlighten me?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Hey, I just do some of the time.......I just need to know if you can have compression and reverb on a vocal track, either to record or
just practice. I guess I don't have to print it while recording, I just would like to hear(monitor)the vocal wet.
Paul

Yo SimaJanpa & Jumboliya & Filligumbo:

The AW16 is similar to the Yam 2816. The 2816 allows you to use the reverb units but not record them to the HD. I would guess that the 16 might do the same.

You can find out by getting Yamaha on the net and asking a techie. It usually takes about 4/5 days to get a reply.

I also have the MD8 hooked up in my studio but haven't used it for a while. The 16 bit recording of the 2816 is much better; but, I did do some good stuff on the MD8. I also used reverb on the MD8 but did not record it. I added it when mixing.

You can also use the reverb units on the 28 and 4416 and record it on the first take if so desired but most folks add the reverb they want while mixing.

Have fun whatever way you reverberate.
Green Hornet
:p :p :p :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

simajanpa said:
I just would like to hear(monitor)the vocal wet.
Paul

Simple enough. I have the md8 and I have always recorded dry and monitored wet. I imagine it would be the same for the AW16G since being able to choose between wet and dry tracking is a defacto standard of all recording systems, but I could be wrong. I suppose going to the store and asking someone might be what you want to do. That way you make them prove the capability and you don't buy something that the specification were unclear and you got something you didn't really want.

SoMm

Yes a visit to the store for a difinitive look is ultimately what I need, WHEN the unit finally shows up.
IF the unit doesn't do what I need it to, I guess I could plug my C3000 into an Audio Buddy, then into the Rev500, and then into a channel on the AW16g. Am I correct?
Paul

Yeah your correct, you can add it all manually at the channel input. I noticed that the AW16G doesn't have aux sends and returns for patching in external devices like the othe AW's and the MD8. I say blowouts prices on the AW2816 the other day... It might be close enough to your budget to save a little longer and sell a few more things to get that one. I think it was $1700 bucks or less and I saw a DPS16 at Americanmusical.com for Just under $1200, its a rabidly good deal even though its a scatch N dent. If your set on the 16G a store trip is safest route.

good luck

SoMm

With your budjet I suggest that you check out Fostex VF-160. It's cheaper than the Yamahas and don't have all the bells and whistles but still offers 16 tracks of which 8 can be recorded at the same time. In case you want to record the signal wet you can use the bus record mode and record the reverb from internal effetcs processor or external processor along with the dry signal. On the other hand if you choose to record dry you can still monitor wet you if you use the direct mode where the signal is recorded straight from the analog input to track without effects. The ADAT interface extends the possibilities of VF-160 considerably if you at some stage need to record more than 8 tracks at the time or want to hook up to computer.

http://www.fostex.com/Products/vf160.html

Back