Aviation Audio

skydriver

Newb, here.

I have an analog audio signal that is normally delivered to an aviation headset with a 1/4" stereo phone plug. I would like to record the audio on an android. Would two adapters work?

Adapter 1: Phone plug to TRS

Adapter 2: TRS to TRRS

Would the Android be able to use a signal delivered by this method?

The TRRS of a phone is stereo output (tip-left, ring-right) and mono input (second ring is mic) and sleeve-ground. I assume the signal from the aviation com system is mono output*, so you will need to adapt from that to a TRRS plug, wired to the inner ring and sleeve.

Something like this? Rode SC6 Dual TRRS Input and Headphone Output for Smartphones

*You say it's on a stereo cable, but is it actually a two-way connection, mic on one conductor and headset on the other? I will guess that the headset is mono on the tip and the mic is on the ring, so it may be as simple as the adapter above plus a TS 1/4" to TS 1/8" cable. The 1/4" end will pick up signal from the tip and just short the mic input to ground if I'm right about the wiring of the com system.

A headphone output may turn out to be rather hot for the mic input. You may need to run the output a bit low.

Last edited:
The headset is stereo-capable, but it has a toggle to permit mono operation. I set it for mono.

There is an audio plug and a separate mic plug.

On audio:

Tip - left

Ring - right

Sleeve - ground

I believe that the audio output from the aircraft is mono.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I think my suggestions still apply. You might want to get a cable that goes from 1/4" stereo to 1/8" mono (tip of the 1/8" end connected to tip and ring of the 1/4" end) to avoid shorting out the right channel output, or just solder up a cable that has the ring unconnected.

Keep in mind that not all aviation sockets are the same size - as in many helicopters and some aircraft have nasty polarising voltages on the mic circuits. Many people, me included tend to cheat and pop a lav mic into the ear cup. No electrical connection at all, and no danger of shorting the aircraft comms and making it a safety issue.

Back