Average Volume Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
:facepalm:

You need to stop posting so much and do more reading, learning, studying, understanding, then practice. A bunch.

I dont even post that much, Greg!

This is important to account for when discussing RMS values. There are two ways of determining the 0dB against which the RMS is measured. One uses a 0dBFS peak sine wave and one uses a 0dBFS peak square wave. Measurements using the sine wave reference come out something like 3dB higher than those using the square wave reference. If you don't know what the reference method of the numbers given you don't have an accurate idea of the loudness.

For example, in Sound Forge I have a song that measures -17.5dB/-17.2dB (left/right) but in the TT DR Meter it reads -14.6dB/-14.2dB RMS and 13dB/12.5dB dynamic range. That's not a very loud file. A moderately loud song would come in around -11dB, -8dB and -6.5dB by those three methods.

Right...so why the heck is Greg bullying me? What are his methods of measuring RMS?

I dont even post that much, Greg!

Right...so why the heck is Greg bullying me? What are his methods of measuring RMS?

No one is bullying you. When someone posts absolute nonsense, it's the responsibility of the membership to correct it. Misinformation is a real cancer at sites like this.

You found ONE. I'm sure you can find a few more, but to say that all modern mixes are at -6 RMS is wrong.

Besides that, I stopped using the TT Loudness meter because it always registered at least 2db louder than any DAW's meters.

Third of all, look at this list. Click on any of the albums on that page. Are you going to tell me that these songs are really clocking in at 0db or -1 db RMS? Obviously there's something completely wrong there: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Either the people doing the measurements don't know what they're doing, or there's something wrong with their meters.

Don't try to sound smarter than you are, because you're failing miserably.

Your statement of "Most modern recordings are -6RMS" is wrong.

For example, in Sound Forge I have a song that measures -17.5dB/-17.2dB (left/right) but in the TT DR Meter it reads -14.6dB/-14.2dB RMS and 13dB/12.5dB dynamic range. That's not a very loud file. A moderately loud song would come in around -11dB, -8dB and -6.5dB by those three methods.
Thank you. Exactly what I posted as you were posting this. Some people need to not try to sound like they know what they're talking about when they have no idea.

You found ONE. I'm sure you can find a few more, but to say that all modern mixes are at -6 RMS is wrong.

Besides that, I stopped using the TT Loudness meter because it always registered at least 2db louder than any DAW's meters.

Third of all, look at this list. Click on any of the albums on that page. Are you going to tell me that these songs are really clocking in at 0db or -1 db RMS? Obviously there's something completely wrong there: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Either the people doing the measurements don't know what they're doing, or there's something wrong with their meters.

Don't try to sound smarter than you are, because you're failing miserably.

Your statement of "Most modern recordings are -6RMS" is wrong.

I can name you more than one. There are lots of records that sound like this FF record. You know that.

I'm not trying to be smart...why would you thunk that? I just made a statment about loud records. If its false, ok, I'm sorry, but you could at least point where I'm wrong, so then there would be no doubts at all.

Now, could you do that? What are your methods of measuring RMS level?

Here, more records FYI: Album details - Dynamic Range Database > Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Greg and Rami should just engineer every pro record since they know everything. Go work at Abbey Road, dudes, and leave the forum for idiots like us, who god forbid, are trying to learn. If I knew everything and saw people trying to learn, I'd pat them on the back for their ambition.

When Cmolena said -6db maybe it was hyperbole, but his point that records are very loud we all know is true, so you bash him over semantics? The guy is like early 20s and trying to learn, so yeah, maybe he has gaps in knowledge due to not having formal education. Just correct it and move on with class. Jesus.

If its false, ok, I'm sorry, but you could at least point where I'm wrong, so then there would be no doubts at all.

Now, could you do that? What are your methods of measuring RMS level?
Read my post again. I explained and answered everything you just asked.

You don't need to keep posting "results", I already gave you a whole page of songs even louder than that. But it's false, wrong, and in-accurate. If you think songs are actually coming in at 0db RMS, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Greg and Rami should just engineer every pro record since they know everything. Go work at Abbey Road, dudes, and leave the forum for idiots like us, who god forbid, are trying to learn. If I knew everything and saw people trying to learn, I'd pat them on the back for their ambition.

When Cmolena said -6db maybe it was hyperbole, but his point that records are very loud we all know is true, so you bash him over semantics? The guy is like early 20s and trying to learn, so yeah, maybe he has gaps in knowledge due to not having formal education. Just correct it and move on with class. Jesus.
Oh shut the fuck up. You're the whiniest baby here. It's not about semantics, Forrest. Go read his statement again. It was a "definite" statement, and then he even provided a link thinking it proved him right, so get your nose out of his ass, because if he ever came to a complete stop, you'd disappear forever. He was wrong. Period. Stop being an idiot.

Yeah, why are these two GODS in a homerecording forum?

They think I am rude enough to not accept corrections? I dont care if I'm wrong, I'm here to learn. Not be bullied.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers put out an album so loud it is distorting all over the place. I forget which album, but I tried listening to it and it was just awful. It had to be -6b or worse. I wouldn't say every record is like that, but a lot of modern records are overly loud, and I think that was your point, Cmolena. I mean correct me if I am wrong and you literally meant every record is -6db. If you did, then I'd agree with these other guys that that is wrong. But I think you were just using hyperbole to make a point that records are loud, and they're now bullying you about those semantics.

You and your little partner's act is pretty weak. Stop playing the victim. All you do is bitch about me, Rami, whatever. If you're really trying to learn, then shut up and learn.

Oh shut the fuck up. You're the whiniest baby here. It's not about semantics, Forrest. Go read his statement again. It was a "definite" statement, and then he even provided a link thinking it proved him right, so get your nose out of his ass, because if he ever came to a complete stop, you'd disappear forever. He was wrong. Period. Stop being an idiot.

Strawman and Ad Hominem attack.

Go engineer at Abbey Road.

You and your little partner's act is pretty weak. Stop playing the victim. All you do is bitch about me, Rami, whatever. If you're really trying to learn, then shut up and learn.

My little partner, lol. He really is, I like this guy, but thats not the point.

I bitch about you because you are arrogant. I actually kind like that attitude of yours, but not to the degree you apply it, bashing in noobs like me.

I will shut up and learn if you post good information.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers put out an album so loud it is distorting all over the place. I forget which album, but I tried listening to it and it was just awful. It had to be -6b or worse. I wouldn't say every record is like that, but a lot of modern records are overly loud, and I think that was your point, Cmolena. I mean correct me if I am wrong and you literally meant every record is -6db. If you did, then I'd agree with these other guys that that is wrong. But I think you were just using hyperbole to make a point that records are loud, and they're not bullying you about those semantics.
:laughings: :laughings:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back