Avantone CK40 Modded + Studio Projects CS5 Pair

Jrasia

AVANTONE CK40 /w Tim Campbell CT12 Capsules

Basically what I have here is an absolute mint Avantone CK40 stereo microphone modified and installed with a pair of high quality CK12 clone capsules. The PCB was already populated with high quality components so the Chinese k67 capsules have been gutted and replaced with a pair of Tim Campbell's EXCELLENT CK12 clone.
Tim Campbell
These go for over $300 a pop and are leagues ahead of anything else out there.
I recommend searching the the groupdiy message boards for reviews and opinions on the capsule.
GroupDIY - Welcome!

This one hurts to let go as its been my workhorse for just about every stereo application and vocal session I done. The closest I could come to owning an AKG C24 without speeding 10 grand;). Amazing detailed highs that are never harsh and a the low end goes on for miles. The original CK40 was too mid forward for my liking.

All the original fixings included.

$1000

STUDIO PROJECTS CS5

MINT pair of LDC Studio Projects CS5 microphones.
Only used for a small session and put away into their cases.
Includes all the original contents. Save the tax and then some.

Highly versatile microphone. All the patterns, pads and cuts you could possibly need. High SPL, and very balanced sounding.

$250 each, and $475 for the pair.

I bite the paypal fees, you pay shipping from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

CS5.jpgCK40.jpg

More pics available

Last edited:
Hey, what's the price on those Cs5? I live in Toronto and could probably pick them up, if it'll make out cheaper. plus, I'm always up for a road trip. :)

Hey, what's the price on those Cs5? I live in Toronto and could probably pick them up, if it'll make out cheaper. plus, I'm always up for a road trip. :)

Sorry...I guess I missed listing the prices on those. $250 each or $475 for both. I can also ship them to you if you're willing to pay that portion of the cost. Should be relatively cheap, but thats up to you.

Who performed the capsule swap modifications on the CK-40?

I performed the capsule swap myself. Capsule replacement is relatively easy I find. I build preamps and compressor kits so this was a snap. Infact, the most difficult part was just getting at the top capsule to begin with. I had to write Avantone to figure out how to even physically get at it, but once the grill head was open, it was easy.

No modification to head basket. Tim's capsules come with new capsule mounts...they replace the stock ones just fine.
If you're wondering about pattern selection, everything is the same as before...

I have the stock CK-40 and I think it's a great microphone Jrasia.
I'm just toying with the idea of picking up your modified one now.

Decisions, Decisions. :eatpopcorn:

I have the stock CK-40 and I think it's a great microphone Jrasia.
I'm just toying with the idea of picking up your modified one now.

Decisions, Decisions. :eatpopcorn:

It was pretty night and day to me. Stock CK40 is very mid forward...nasty peaks around 5 to 7k I didn't like at all.
CT12 capsules are more relaxed around 3k, but sound more brighter/detailed up top without being harsh. Low end is pretty crazy good when up close. Capsules seems to have an ever so slightly compressed sound I find.
Again, its all personal taste. The stock CK40 might be just fine what you are doing. I do a lot of room, drum and vocal recording so this mod was more up my alley.

So far the majority of the work that I have put my stock CK-40 through is room recordings.

I'll put some more thought into this offer you have on your modified CK-40 and get back to ya Jrasia.

Sorry moresound, I've decided to keep the CK40. Just to good to give up.

The CS5s have been sold as well. Thanks!

If anyone is looking for a 1 session old, MINT matched pair of AKG C414 XL II...the newest 9 pattern type, PM me.
Need to sell these as well.

Back