Avant, Equation, and Superlux… Oh my!

chellman

I'm looking for an inexpensive kick drum mic, and while looking at the Full Compass website, I saw this. I've been doing some research for several days now, and this is the first time I've heard of this company.

Someone over on gearslutz was asking about these, and there's no responses. It looks like they're quite new, so maybe no one knows about them yet. The kick mic sells for $69 shipped from Full Compass, so if it's any good, it could be cool.

I've been trying to decide among the Avant AMK, the Superlux PRA- and PRO-218 and FK-2, the Blue Kickball, and now maybe this MTD 104.

Since there's a lot of people who are always looking for cheap, good mics, I'm thinking I'll have to be a guinea pig on one of these things and write up what I find, but if anyone has any experience with these babies, let me know. I know PhilGood's an FK-2 fan (although the samples he posted a million years ago are gone).

[ETA: Oh, let's not forget the Red5 RVD1. Sigh. That one's over $100, though, so it's less tempting.]

That is my post at Gearslutz that you have linked to, I don't have a drumset available to try them out on for you, however I was thinking of recording some el. guitars with the kick mic and see what happens. BTW the guy that referred me to them says that if he had a blindfold test between this and his D6 on he he couldn't tell which was which. As I said in the post, I used to work with this guy and trust his ears.

Oh well, it was worth asking.

I'd still love to know if anyone else has any experience with these things.

14 mics. Dang! Thanks for pointing that out. It seems like the Equation mics are probably fine, although the problem with any of these kinds of things is that I can't here what the drums sound like to my ears in the room, so I can't tell how much of the sound is due to the drums themselves versus what the mics are doing.

14 mics. Dang! Thanks for pointing that out. It seems like the Equation mics are probably fine, although the problem with any of these kinds of things is that I can't here what the drums sound like to my ears in the room, so I can't tell how much of the sound is due to the drums themselves versus what the mics are doing.

that's true, but i wouldn't worry too much. i'm sure his drum set sounds good, but he doesn't have a professional studio or anything. his videos should just serve as proof that these mics work just fine and aren't just pieces of crap.

Back