Avalon vt-737sp

Vadim

is Avalon vt737sp really worth the money? is it really that great? is there single or dual preamp/channel strip that's better than avalon 737? or atleast equivelent?

is Avalon vt737sp really worth the money? is it really that great? is there single or dual preamp/channel strip that's better than avalon 737? or atleast equivelent?

well i can tell you i would love to have one...

it represents the best of one type of approach... it is a superclean device... as opposed to the more coloured types...

Its worth it if you want it. Ive probably had 12 avalon pieces given to me as payment over the years, and only kept one of them to krunk the rappers with

Horribly cheap and chintzy build, nothing wrong with the sound though

Dozens and dozens. What's your budget / what are you looking for / what are you currently using / what do you lack?

well i can tell you i would love to have one...

it represents the best of one type of approach... it is a superclean device... as opposed to the more coloured types...

???????? Have you used a 737 ? Personally, the 737 is definately not my favorite channel strip or preamp or cxompressor, but I do like the EQ. There are occasions though where the 737 really fits the bill, it just seems overpriced and inconsistent.

As far as colouration though, I would not rate the 737 as a "clean" sound at all. In fact, I find it to be VERY colored. LIke I said, sometimes it really adds a nice sheen to things, but generally speaking it is not often my "go-to" for anything. Much of its "mystique" I think stems from the fact that its the shiny expensive piece you see at guitar center. I personally would rather have most any other of the Avalon gear instead.

Dozens and dozens. What's your budget / what are you looking for / what are you currently using / what do you lack?

Mostly I record vocals.
I'm using AKG 414 Mic, going into PreSonus BlueTube.

what I'm lacking is vocals tracks missing fatness and presence, even if i put tube emulation plugins on the track and add reverb and stuff.

???????? Have you used a 737 ? .

yep... my old partner bought one specificly for his voice... he was a r+b singer and since everyone else has one he felt it important... it was the best pre we had... i still think of it as uncolored...

Mostly I record vocals.
I'm using AKG 414 Mic, going into PreSonus BlueTube.
Oh, Jeeesus... Almost *any* decent preamp is going to - Try a P-Solo, Grace 101, FMR RNP --- You don't need to dump Avalon cash (and I would highly recommend against it unless it's part of a reasonable "collection" of preamps).

Of course, API, GR, Langevin --

You certainly don't need "toobs" to get a decent sound (as you've found already that "toobs" - or even tube emulation - has nothing at all to do with "warm" sound, I'd hope).

yep... my old partner bought one specificly for his voice... he was a r+b singer and since everyone else has one he felt it important... it was the best pre we had... i still think of it as uncolored...

Thats funny. I do like the Avalon in certain settings, and for some things it adds a nice smoothness that can be hard to find in any other units, but uncolored is about the last thing I would use to describe it. In fact, I can't think of many preamps out there of decent quality that are more colored than the Avalon 737. The AD series though is a whole different story (and topology).

Back