Aux Bus inq.

Bstage

Question #1

Does the effects that are patched through the Aux Busses under Console view sound the same as in the individual Track view?

Question #2

Are the individual tracks at unity gain while recording (meaning that any increase from 0 to 6 is not applied until after the recording is played back.

Thanks for your help

Brad

Bstage said:
Does the effects that are patched through the Aux Busses under Console view sound the same as in the individual Track view?
I can't hear a difference. ;)

Why should there be?

Bstage said:
Are the individual tracks at unity gain while recording (meaning that any increase from 0 to 6 is not applied until after the recording is played back.
Recording depends on your input settings (and they are not controlle by Sonar). Sonar only shows the meters of what is going into the computer. You need to adjust the Windows Mixer (or whatever your soundcard is using) to adjust the input gain/volume.

:)

Thanks Mr. 3000 post Moskus :)

Quick question for you sir....

What is the best way to monitor a level in Sonar.... I use the Izotope plugin in Sonar and even when its meters do not peak the main output peaks.... Im confused....

I would prefer a lower mix without distortion or any clipping.... Turning down the master level seems to rob all the gain aded in the mastering plugin...

Thanks..

Last edited:
Re: Thanks Mr. 1000 post Moskus :)

Bstage said:
What is the best way to monitor a level in Sonar.... I use the Izotope plugin in Sonar and even when its meters do not peak the main output peaks.... Im confused....

I would prefer a lower mix without distortion or any clipping.... Turning down the master level seems to rob all the gain aded in the mastering plugin...

The best way to monitor a level is the master fader meter level. When you use the Izotope plug-in, if you have the gain turned up too far it may clip the master. Think of it this way, you might have a maximum -10Db signal, in the plug-in if you put a 11Db gain, the sound will clip.

Try reducing the gain in the plug-in so that the meter doesn't clip.

Porter

Re: Re: Thanks Mr. 1000 post Moskus :)

Porter said:
The best way to monitor a level is the master fader meter level.
I would use the Track meter, since the Main Meter is affected by the main volume (I don't think the Track meter is affected by the Track volume during recording, but I'm not sure).

:)

PS! Thanks Porter! ;)

I might be wrong, however isn't the Izotope plug-in's designed for mastering, meaning I don't think he is questioning the level meters when recording.

It is possible to reduce the master level to stop it from clipping. When you export the project to wav file, it doesn't bypass the Master, hence if it doesn't clip you are right.

The other option you have is to put a compressor on the master bus so you can increase the volume across the board and reduce clipping caused by transient peaks.

Porter

Porter said:
I might be wrong, however isn't the Izotope plug-in's designed for mastering, meaning I don't think he is questioning the level meters when recording.

It is possible to reduce the master level to stop it from clipping. When you export the project to wav file, it doesn't bypass the Master, hence if it doesn't clip you are right.

The other option you have is to put a compressor on the master bus so you can increase the volume across the board and reduce clipping caused by transient peaks.
That could be, but he's talking about recording in the first post.

Anyway, I'm not used to "master" in Sonar. I always export to wav and do the touch-up work in Sound Forge. It's just so easy... ;)

^^^^

moskus said:
That could be, but he's talking about recording in the first post.

Anyway, I'm not used to "master" in Sonar. I always export to wav and do the touch-up work in Sound Forge. It's just so easy... ;)

Do you use Wave Hammer???? Or any other plugins... I have the L2, Izotope, and Cakewalks version as well as Soundforge. Any recommendations???

Re: ^^^^

Bstage said:
Do you use Wave Hammer???? Or any other plugins... I have the L2, Izotope, and Cakewalks version as well as Soundforge. Any recommendations???
Yeah, I use WaveHammer if I want it LOUD! ;)

And I took the plunge a couple of months ago and bougth some Waves Plugins (of course by a special deal from my friend that works in a music-store. I like abusing his account! :D)...
Man, they are great! :)

I could be wrong on this but isn't this something to do with the Pre and Post being defaults in Sonar and HS2002? I seem to remember someone posting a while back saying that his reverbs sounded "fatter" when the track setting is set to POST instead of Pre which is the reason why C/W changed the default when they released Sonar?

Or I could be talking bollocks again (I usually do:) ) (bollocks=gonads=testicles);)

Paul881 said:
(bollocks=gonads=testicles);)
And thank you for this usefull information... :D

Seriously, though. Is there really a difference between post and pre for the aux-busses? Do you know which thread that was stated in?

This one maybe a year ago. I'll search for it. I seeem to remember that it was a seasoned member who posted it, someone with credibility. Not like me:(

But I can confirm that HS2002 is defaulted to Pre and Sonar to Post.

Okay, I'm a little relieved...

So you are not saying that switching between pre and post will alter the way Sonar runs the plugin? It still works like on a regular mixer, right?

No, only that if you want to add EQ and Compression etc, to your reverb, you need to switch to Post;)

Back