Aux and Reverb Unit????

JonathanRay

I'm trying to figure out how to connect an Alesis NanoVerb to my Mackie Onyx 1620. I’ve run the Aux Send to the Alesis Inputs and the Alesis Outputs to the Aux Returns. However, the signal is distorted and I don’t understand why. It's not because the input level on the Alesis is cranked up to high. Even when I turn it down as low as possible, while still being able to hear the signal, there is a the same weird popping distortion. I think it must have something to do with the cable hook up.

For the aux send I'm using a stereo plug that splits into two mono plugs. The stereo plug goes into the aux send and the mono plugs go into the left and right inputs on the Alesis. Then I'm running two mono cables from the Alesis left and right outputs to the Aux return. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!

Surely a board as advanced as the Onyx has a separated stereo send. Plug a regular mono cable into each side of that send and into the inputs on the Nanoverb. Then leave the outputs as you have them.

If there is a switch on the Onyx for pre/post fader sends, switch it to 'post' --- that's the way signals are typically sent to reverbs, delays, etc.

If, as suggested in the title of your post, you are using the 'aux' send, try the 'effects' send instead. 'Aux' typically means pre-fader, 'effects' typically means post fader.

Thanks for the reply. Ok, I think I've found the problem. It's not the Alesis, or the Aux Returns. It's the Aux send. It must have something to do with the cable I'm using or how its hooked up, I'm not sure. I must not be using the correct type of cable.

Below is a little diagram of how I'm setting things up. Hope that helps. Thanks.

http://216.247.204.179/jonathan/001onyx.jpg

Well thats definately the way it should be hooked up. You could also try hooking it up to a channel insert but then it will only be mono. Just make sure the signals aren't pushed over unity gain and you should have any distortion. Try some different effects too. I have a nanoverb and I remember hearing some distortion while changing the knobs between effects so its possible its just a dirty unit or something.

Last edited:
OK, I found the problem. I had my Aux Master cranked up all the way and it was distorting the signal. :o

It appears the Aux Sends on the Mackie are Mono. Yet the Returns are stereo. :confused: When I plugged a 1/4 stereo into the send and ran it to the nanoverb, all I got was left channel.

You will need to use two aux sends to do stereo. However, if you just hook up the left input of the nanoverb, the output should still be stereo.

is it better to do effects as an aux sent/ etc than the directly input it???

like i have an alesis midiverb3 and would it be betetr if i did what he did than just have it go through the mic/1/4" cable?

esspecially if say i wana use it on drums. [lets say even use my sound enhancer or compressor on the aux send/etc]

A compressor needs to be in line, you would normally use the inserts for that. A mic doesn't have enough signal by itself to use with a compressor or effects unit.

Aux sends are good for effects that get mixed back in with the original signal, like reverb, delay, chorus.

Inserts are better for things that you don't want to hear any of the original signal, like EQ, compression, pitch correction.

Farview said:
A compressor needs to be in line, you would normally use the inserts for that. A mic doesn't have enough signal by itself to use with a compressor or effects unit.

Aux sends are good for effects that get mixed back in with the original signal, like reverb, delay, chorus.

Inserts are better for things that you don't want to hear any of the original signal, like EQ, compression, pitch correction.

alright. so dont put anything as aux out other than the midiverb3? or even keep that out cause its mutli effects?

thanks

buryher17 said:
alright. so dont put anything as aux out other than the midiverb3? or even keep that out cause its mutli effects?

thanks
It depends on the effect that you are using. Read my post again.

If you are using a delay patch on your multi-effects box, use an aux. If you are using a compressor patch in it, use an insert.

I wouldn't do a splitter into the Alesis. Just take the mono aux send into the mono in jack on the Nanoverb (I think that's the left, check the manual). Then take stereo out of the Nanoverb into the stereo returns on the Mackie.

Farview's post is correct about what signal processing to use where. Compressors and Eq are typically used as serial devices, and reverb, delay, and chorus for example are used parallel. So that means use the inserts for compressors and eq, and aux sends for reverb, delay and other multieffects type sounds.

As far as the mono to stereo thing, this is the most common setup for mixers. Most mixers have mono sends and stereo returns. Some mixers will offer stereo sends, but usually in conjunction with mono sends. You just go with the routing: mono to the fx box and stereo back out to your mixer.

Back