Automation

premonition

I can get automation fine in cubase if it deals with the mixer (volume,pan etc) but how do I automate a vst instrument like you can in Reason. Im not sure if you can as ive tried what the manual says but dont really understand it all as its not clear. I want to automate the frequency of a synth while its playing. Is this possible?

Locate 2 buttons on every plugin/channel, namely the W and the R button, should be next to each other. Hit the W button. Press play. Chance whatever you want. Turn some knobs, move some sliders, knock yourself out. Hit stop. Turn off W. Turn on R. Now you got everything you've changed recorded into a track for every parameter. Right click on a track, and select "show automation used for all tracks" and there you go, you've got a nice visual confirmation of everything you've done. You can edit too.

The "W" write button will record tweaks to the track; however, I like to use the "R" button for more control. Of course after using the "W" button , the "R" button will playback all changes. However, if you just turn on the "R" button and click on the "+" sign you will be able to manipulate the automation lines manually and control exactly what you want. You can select any setting you want from the drop down box and then adjust the linear blue line to move up or down or off. By clicking the blue line you create little black box "nodes" that can be dragged up or down or deleted. This allows you to create gradual or quick changes. Every time you click the "+" sign under a track, another automation track is available, drop down the box and select or search to the parameter you need to assign. It's easy, and really cool. You'll be glad you asked the question.

Back