Authenticating a guitar

Chris Fallen

I just picked up a '67 SG and I was wondering how I could authenticate it to make sure it is in fact a '67 SG. Do I have to take it to someone? I looked and coundn't find a serial number on it anywhere..

I'm going to have to check when I get home if that's where it is. On gibson.com they have serial number lists so you can ID them. Awesome.

It does, it's just so old that the color in the numbers has worn off. You can just barely make it out. I took a look at home but I don't remember the number. I'm going to check it out during my next break.

Will, I'm happy to say that the serial number is 029530, meaning this is a 67 Gibson SG.

Not to mention a 67 Gibson SG that I bought for $500.

Or at least its a replica that someone got the serial number for off the gibson website and embossed it in the back....

but I jest...:D

Nilbog said:
Or at least its a replica that someone got the serial number for off the gibson website and embossed it in the back....

but I jest...:D

Actually, it's not too hard to fake a very authentic-looking "vintage guitar" these days.

There are literally thousands of them out there... I kid you not!

They've figured out numerous ways to "age" these fakes in a way that's virtually impossible to detect, unless you're an expert.

Read it and weep...

http://www.flyingvintage.com/gcmag/money.html

Back